Query / Response type messages

  • Subject: Query / Response type messages
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:49:00 +0000

Whilst I remember, I've seen 2 different systems for query/response
type messages lately ... that I can recall anyway. You wish to query a
device of some status item, and have the response sent as another xAP
message.

I've generally put both blocks in the one schema, such as the
following templated layout:

Class=Class.Type
Query.Request
{
Query=TheQuery
}
Query.Response
{
Query=TheQuery (so the query is available in standalone msg)
Response=TheResponse
}

For example, from the WHA schema:

Class=xAP-Audio.Query
Audio.Query
{
Query=[mode  sleep  power  volume  balance  bass  treble]
}
Audio.Notification
{
Query=[mode  sleep  power  volume  balance  bass  treble]
Status="Response suitable to query command"
}

Recently Kevin, in his Basic Status/Control schema had the following:

66
Class= xAPcmd to instruct a device to do something
xAPcmd.state
xAPcmd.status

Class= xAPstatus to report state
xAPstatus.event < it has changed
xAPstatus.info < just an update, nothing has changed
since last time
99

So the response came back in a different schema, using the same body
layout I think?

Any preferences for consistency? Given the talk recently of context
parameters I wonder if my v.simple template schema is pants?

Sorry, mushed up head right now, brain deactivated and barely
functioning. }:(

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=7pL2R7lehLC9hLWcd-5nDkVI0AK3mJ15L1dPghCivBERqdpXGu-0MSkbgV8yh1SC1p-cTPbo4mBcZy1t6Dx2qwU">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net