SliMP3 Connector target addressing

  • Subject: SliMP3 Connector target addressing
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:57:00 +0000

I just discovered a problem. Sort of.

Currently I have a 'virtual' Slim, courtesy of Kevin connecting one of
his many items through my router into my SlimServer s/w. Fortunately
for me it sticks around until I manually 'forget' it, enabling a bit
of Slimpy Connector testing.

Yesterday I found a problem with my Windows Services runtime since I
introduced a new logging library a while back. It and the way the xFx
Windows Service runtime discovers the plugins dynamically at runtime
was allowing the Service to install, but not offering anything
controllable.

Having sorted that I was just testing it tonight when I discovered the
'problem'. I think Kevin may have hinted at this in the past but I
maybe didn't quite grasp what you were telling me.

If I have multiple Slims and I send a message such as:

xap-header
{
v=12
Hop=1
UID=FF123400
Class=xAP-Audio.Transport
Source=KCSoft.Send.Anya
}
Audio.Transport
{
Command=Play
}

Notice there is no Target. What would you expect to happen?

I anticipated that all players would start playing. In this case the
Slim Server is obviously taking the decision to only start one player
as that is all that occurs (luckily enough, the virtual one, otherwise
I may not have noticed this problem).

So, if I have a command which I don't manually target at a Slim I
leave it to the Slim Server to decide what to do. I handle OSD
messages slightly different for various reasons.

Is This A Bug ???

I can fix this by assuming a default target of ">" for all
*appropriate* messages if none is specified.

But maybe we should consider that what the SlimServer does in this
case is correct, and what most would expect. And if folks don't like
it, we tell them to fix their xAP message and include a target line.

I'm not going to fix this for now as it means more work. I'll have to
identify which possible messages should be auto-wildcarded and which
shouldn't (e.g. Server specific messages) and somehow build this
information into the system. Should I put it as meta-data on the xAP
message encapsulation classes in xFx maybe. That would be easy.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=GtO7mxQyutm0nQ4ppy2Xi_yKBUN8lWBzcYjtez3sl8cokikHjWY0AqM55lH9aSUfCiFS87yInjmijRxGE4Q">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net