RE: Re: Context parameters within Message Bodies

  • Subject: RE: Re: Context parameters within Message Bodies
  • From: Ian B
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 08:20:00 +0000

Hi Kevin

I have not thought too much more about the Rabbit stuff tbh. I have been
reading up on them though and they seem great with the exception of
accurate
timers and timing abilities. Whist I do use these at the moment this would
not be enough to stop me moving.

VIOM
The example I gave was just something that happened on the other list - and
wouldn't it be nice if there were modules with these capabilities at this
affordable price.

The Mega 128 with 128 flash, 4k ram, 4k eeprom and a fully decoded 64k
external bus is about 15 quid in single quantities. This comes down to
about
8 quid in qtys of 100. External components are pence and the Ethernet
hardware should come in at a about 14 quid or just over if all goes to
plan.
The PCB cost would be around a fiver ignoring setup costs. So, a simple
board and chip would then need assembling and testing all for about 35 quid
in hardware only. This would give me adequate space to do most things I
need
to. More ability would be a component cost as the PCB would be designed
around the requirements and still cost about a fiver after setup costs.

Whist the rabbit is better specified at the processor level e.g. ram etc.
it
would still have to have a second PCB made to enable to do most things as I
understand the ports etc. come out to headers.

It really is horses for courses with the Rabbit costing slightly more most
of the time in low volumes. I think little things like a twenty quid price
difference between competing products will sway the consumer (assuming
similar capability).

It sounds as though the Rabbit would be great to have the sort of brains
folks are talking about in an Ethernet node whist I am trying to create the
serial devices single minded simplicity/cost with an Ethernet interface.
So,
is it simply we are trying to achieve different things?

Finally, as long as my code is not too hardware oriented it should port
quite nicely. Even the hardware stuff is done using #defines so hopefully
changes would only need doing in one place.

Sorry, this is a bit rushed as it is time for work.

Thanks

Ian

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=jHgHc_LyIWy6PGJUTst20i9yuE8N_N6sFXy-d8cPUNy6rtuj3BuelEhyAQgVPyd8vDrNQX-VJ2WEd6WIVm0DDPs">lists@u...</a>]
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=1IXgEeS92s5Zx6Rs9SSSLOXetzJpICCBBgevC2p1Ok01bMIT6lobqKkPSrU7zjDmm2Ta8HuXxWtzg_jOVt17jfDjZ2k">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>
>Subject: RE: [xAP_developer] Re: Context parameters within Message
>Bodies
>

>Ian -
>
> As you know I have gone down a similar learning curve to you -
>embedded C etc. I started off PIC and then moved to the Rabbit
>controllers.
>

> Now to me the availability of a Rabbit core - the new 3710 for
>example which has 256K Flash 128K RAM and 1MB serial Flash plus
Ethernet

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=pvQ_0bCh7IgA9EUPNdYg3_h8cB-7xMnpNp4Dc09oLOOpVamjoLWzEqcIGN8dDKuaXFO772BMWM2VZg">Ian@M...</a>]

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=_c5Vp4VidfGjN-K4gJ0xT2Yh4-ZbFUNyLSqBBTK4JBbxbFqVd8cBxBa1fioL93isQMx-g2Kph1o6w7eiypY">mph@a...</a>]

"Ian B" <Ian@M...> wrote:
> > just ordered an
> > will enable me
> > >to add
> > >the Realtek
> > hoping the
> > >cost per
> > the region you
> > >are

> > >networked
> > applies even
> > >to my own
> > >serial
> > watering etc.
> > >use

towards
> > >Ethernet. I think
> > fiver so it
> > >still

price point
> > >you are
> > depends on the
> > will push the
> > >price up.
> > lower end of
> > >the scale.

bridge.

> > basic input /

stuff,
> > including
> > >all

is equally
> > >likely

> > messages from one
into account
engine".

"Ian B" <Ian@M...> wrote:
> [...]
shirt)... but
> > what you are
compiled scripts
schemas - sort of
> > >blows
Where, and who is
> > >developing

me
> > towards ever
simple tasks.

networking
> > majority of folks
our
> > appeal as wide
> > >as
as possible

PC/Linux/etc. has a
> > >place
own
> > server went down
supply.

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=TE3mRu92tsHa-ErX-k1ffSvNrGFIfQ622ZZAraywPdpY4BPuaVaDWPP_a5KDnnCQ5uZC4YVruCuPp_62UCv4rgBiYpK5lQEqlCRhsK63GswtyLez">xAP_developer-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx</a>

> > ><a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=TE3mRu92tsHa-ErX-k1ffSvNrGFIfQ622ZZAraywPdpY4BPuaVaDWPP_a5KDnnCQ5uZC4YVruCuPp_62UCv4rgBiYpK5lQEqlCRhsK63GswtyLez">xAP_developer-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx</a>

> > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

> > ---------------------~--> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill
> > Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer at
> > MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &amp;
Canada.