RE: Re: Context parameters within Message Bodies

  • Subject: RE: Re: Context parameters within Message Bodies
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 01:51:00 +0000

Ian -

As you know I have gone down a similar learning curve to you -
embedded C etc. I started off PIC and then moved to the Rabbit controllers.

Now to me the availability of a Rabbit core - the new 3710 for
example which has 256K Flash 128K RAM and 1MB serial Flash plus Ethernet
onboard and assembled at a one off cost of $49 US ($39 qty 100) is a
fantastic price - $10 more and you have 512K RAM and 512K Flash. I just
wonder if you've looked at these again as you move to Ethernet ?? I don't
know how portable your C code would be to the Rabbit - and of course there
is the upfront cost of the dev system which includes the compiler - and
there is existing xAP code for the Rabbit too ...

Re your VIOM example btw - I have VIOM support within my xAP Rabbit
board (basically because I have three VIOMs) - I could run up a Windows xAP
application for the VIOM if anyone is interested, should be a very quick
job
with just basic status and control for I/O.

Kevin

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=0H0SXvEeJhvyg7PCzyeT7UM6SWRs_T5PGhmhk-8HBmgF3LtrLMdo39_dSzVCzKWCFj723SHLN08zAjfmdw">Ian@M...</a>]
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=QuCjgicrT0Ul41mCUNvLgp9TGOLou-49OHwYrgGAZMUU-4kzf-RiXLQXjSA3rQkc2aL5QIltmbaz7uaSjketoMKsD9ZjxQ">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=PU2JesenYMR9NdNAyLnCmwkTT4LgPPwVs-6w6V0HiYP97NsmzQzmK_8b_rqB7MOHQE6JNo6FqT4TilmVbA">mph@a...</a>]

"Ian B" <Ian@M...> wrote:
> >> Ah, I may be one step ahead of you here then. I have
> just ordered an
> >> embedded Ethernet development kit which I am hoping
> will enable me
> >to add
> >> Ethernet as the native interface for my new devices. It will
use
> >the Realtek
> >> chip found on your average 7 quid network card so I am
> hoping the
> >cost per
> >> project will not be huge and certainly bring it into
> the region you
> >are
> >> looking at below. We shall see.
> >>
> >> Whilst serial (485) is still a very cheap interface as far as
> >networked
> >> medium goes it is not supported in 99% of homes. This
> applies even
> >to my own
> >> where I have a 100Mbit Ethernet pretty much everywhere but
not a
> >serial
> >> cable anywhere save to HV and the phone logger. The
> watering etc.
> >use
> >> dedicated cables and not a serial link.
> >>
> >> This and feedback from various sources have led me towards
> >Ethernet. I think
> >> this could fit into a 16k Atmel chip costing around a
> fiver so it
> >still
> >> counts as a low end device in my book.
> >>
> >> I am hoping that new devices will come in around the price
point
> >you are
> >> looking at but in small quantities. This obviously
> depends on the
> >> capabilities and interactive stuff with screens etc.
> will push the
> >price up.
> >> Something like my I/O controller will come in at the
> lower end of
> >the scale.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>
> >> Ian

> [...]