Re: hub compliance - dropping ports

  • Subject: Re: hub compliance - dropping ports
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:44:00 +0000

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:15:39 +0100, "Broadfoot, Kieran J"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=T29Iz_vX5A4tVtT4o7Xr0rrRzCFZvJmI8t0irh14ZeoHzKdEDa4wphUKWU8ucgo4hBbbX4N2aZzbtvLJGchEtQ">kieran.broadfoot@g...</a>>
wrote:

> Basically if it
>cant find a hub it immediately takes on the role of hub (only if set to
>listen), it will handle passing messages on the correct interfaces to
other
>ports on the machine running xapplets etc.

That's how all my apps work, although you can configure them to force
them to operate in one mode or other regardless. Handy when it comes
to testing if I'm not already running a hub. The first app up gets
that honour and the others just work. The only thing you lose is the
extra functionality that the proper Hub application offers.

As an aside, I forgot in my last message, my Hub code in my
xAPFramework actually does its purging of dead connections when a xAP
message from the same host as the hub arrives. It doesn't narrow the
purge down to incoming h/b messages - any message causes a cleanup.

I had to go look that up though! Still, I wrote it November time last
year I think.

So in theory a dead connection could linger for a while if no messages
arrive ... then again the hub's own h/b would cause a check of the
expired client connections so at best it'll be ((2 * Client H/B
Internal) + Hub H/B Interval) before a client connection is dropped.

I think that checking is a bit frequent and I'll make a note to narrow
it to incoming h/b messages only I think ... there, fixed. I daresay
that could be even less regular and only on its own h/b ... okay,
that's changed now too!

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=VJrCLtWJRf4MFfLuJ6WAP7ilO91r4jUHWQ-zGxyHkQ31qDDJ-NvxzI5IT_D4fubdv9SqKOvFprJogpJ5VZV3rg">stuart@x...</a>