RE: hub compliance - dropping ports

  • Subject: RE: hub compliance - dropping ports
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:35:00 +0000

Yeah sorry about the first 'opus'- I'm away from home in the middle of
nowhere (N.Yorks) with little to do - hence my recent babble on the lists.
It's that or reading nursery rhymes / chanting 'mint sauce' at the sheep.
Bear in mind I'm an electronics engineer really and only a software
'hobbyist'.

I don't think that the regularity of the heartbeats is too much of
an issue - bar the issue of a hub dropping a local application which
currently is the only consequence - if you can avoid perhaps a doubling of
the heartbeat interval and increase your intervals in the header that
should
work fine. Of course anything you can do to make it more regular is much
nicer.

I assume you don't have the Active X support libraries for Perl -
from Active State I think ? If so you could use Patricks OCX which handles
the loopback correctly - are you developing on a Win32 OS ? Sounds like
your
infrastructure is well in place already though.

Nice to have you on board anyway - there seems to be a lot more
happening with xAP just at the moment and some exciting things on the near
horizon.

Perl code will be a great asset - we have a constant plea from Slim
Devices to add xAP natively to their open source SliMP3 server (written in
Perl) - Max I think maybe looking at this so that will be good. I don't
suppose by any chance you own a SliMP3 do you Kieran - if not they're great
devices you know ;-) I am not sure what state the released Misterhouse xAP
Perl code is in either..