RE: hub compliance - dropping ports

  • Subject: RE: hub compliance - dropping ports
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:01:00 +0000

Hi again Kieran,

Just re-read your message and you state your application is a HUB in
Perl !! Should have read it more carefully.

I have to say that a hub is such a vital component to the operation
of all the other xAPp's that I feel it should be able to send a dependable
and consistent heartbeat itself.

Plus given the 2 heartbeat timeouts for each of possibly many
connected devices, will those not be handled by forks - or by just by a big
loop, decrementing a timeout counter for each ?

Of course as you're writing a hub you are never going to fall foul
of a timeout yourself at all - and other hubs make no use of your hub
heartbeat - only when you get to writing a xAP that utilises a hub might
you
suffer being timed out. But a network monitor (if there was one) might
flag a failure of your hub which is a significant network failing that has
knock on effect to all connected xAP's.

Unless I'm on the wrong track - again :-)

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=wvreo8bpG983D_ahKNV8G437IYXp5yPb9WlZryuT3gzkuyKP417ylkXzZ8OY2-24qXLXKMgP7b5uzdIhBarUxQ">kieran.broadfoot@g...</a>]
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=EALmTNn59f-ZPgpYGvIichZn5Sy8PcM1kGwA5zNiKz1TL34wo2nYuOm87VL253aHOqY-O4YaUEJU5LtbhChBo1wXTyhj">'xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>'