Re: FW: xAP configuration protocol

  • Subject: Re: FW: xAP configuration protocol
  • From: mark_harrison_uk2
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:15:00 +0000

--- In <a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=p2HOkOAxZVyjU_3W3j1bgjWFzgyBxclb6Nwjf6E9-wqRL5x71yuXa481Dt4NcrpTZ_WkaWCGFjDqMhIHiSRfyFUFy-l3">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>,
Stuart Booth <lists@x> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:59:09 +0100, "Kevin Hawkins"
> <lists@u...> wrote:
>
> > Yep - in fact Heartbeats are typically much more frequent -
although
> >I think it's not currently a requirement that everyone sends
them. There
> >will be some receiver only xAPp's but as a result they shouldn't
need UID's
> >anyway . How do people feel about moving heartbeats to mandatory
for all xAP
> >senders ?
>
> Receiver only xAPps don't need h/b's?!
>
> I figured every persistant xAP must send a h/b out at regular
> intervals. The only xAP I have not implemented any h/b transmission
in
> is my simple Send utility which starts, sends a message, and exits
> again.

There was another class of applications that couldn't send
heartbeats. That was the application class that ran solely in event-
triggered contexts.

For example, a VBA application running in an Outlook context doesn't
have an obvious mechanism to run timer events. However, it's trivial
to write a VBA app that triggers on the receipt of a new email
message... or a calendar event.

You -could- write an app that integrated with Outlook and worked with
heartbeats, but it would have to sit outside that context, and hook
in in a more sophisticated way - perhaps a VBA application that sent
some non-xAP form to IPC to a separate xAP-sender that listened for
that IPC?

Regards,

Mark