xAP Router & xAP hub

  • Subject: xAP Router & xAP hub
  • From: Patrick Lidstone
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:11:00 +0000

Found (& fixed) quite a subtle bug in my xAP router which may
affect
other implementations of the hub.

(The router is designed to interconnect two independent networks -
e.g. allowing you to have native xAP access to your home network when
at work etc.)

If the router has heartbeat forwarding enabling, local hubs can get
into the situation whereby they endlessly rebroadcast a forwarded
heartbeat if the remote heartbeat references a port which is already
in use.

The solution: hubs should check the UID of any heartbeat and verify
that the first two bytes, the network identifier, are 'FF' which
indicates the message originated on the local network, before
connecting the device to the hub.

Not a biggy, but it took me a while to get to the bottom of it.
Revised hub & router will be appearing shortly on the website.

Patrick