RE: xAP switch

  • Subject: RE: xAP switch
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:17:00 +0000

Basic switch functionality to send xAP messages can as you say be done at
any level of complexity. The lightest implementation could just effectively
send an ON or OFF state based on switch change and all you would really
need
is to alter the last two digits of the UID to represent each switch on one
unit. (It would have to transmit it's xAP source address 'text' as well of
course).
A receiver could also be very lightweight if you wanted just
monitoring the UID to know when your switch has changed state - this is one
of the great features of the UID facilitating an absolutely minimal
receiver
complexity. However this would not support wildcarding if you needed that
feature.
The choice of coding several xAP message types into the transmitter
or not is really one you personally have to decide. You could achieve the
same by monitoring a particular switch (or switches) from the xAPp
receiver,
and as the receiver may already be a PC based application this might be
easier code wise. In my view switches should provide basic switch type xAP
functionality and loading them with additional functionality may prove
problematic to maintain as you system expands. If you had several switches
each controlling one device they would all need updating 'code wise' if and
when the destinations changed. Really you should just be updating target
addresses on the switch rather than the format of the messages themselves I
feel.
It sounds like your real decision here is based on whether you will
envisage using some form of xAP controller in your setup in the long term -
a central co-ordinator for exactly this sort of issue that might provide
some mapping of sources to destination. Really an issue of if you will have
a PC running 24/7 and if you are happy with reducing your reliability down
by becoming dependant on such a controller for the system to work (ignoring
the possibility of having a backup/redundant second controller). The system
would be far more resilient if you supported a direct source to target
linking (or even a wildcard variant) and I guess (thinking as I type here)
that incorporating the filtering in the target xAPp's might be easier and
the approach I would take.
Ian B's xAP relay board has some switch inputs IIRR - you could use
one of these - indeed maybe Ian could consider offering an input only
version for exactly this purpose (essentially a partially populated board).
A Clipsal C-BUS switch would also do this via the xAP gateway and is
cosmetically appealing.

I too am interested in the state of any PIC based xAP framework....

Kevin

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=mUX6Xmy4NVCUiPhuYZxbwuM4xbAdVYabNAA4VwgYiq1jTMVggR2t-_-OyQVuSw8KJOhtOONmiGit1Am-RjfQeaft">steve.cooper@u...</a>