Re: configuration, GUIs etc

  • Subject: Re: configuration, GUIs etc
  • From: Patrick Lidstone
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 23:28:00 +0000

Hi Kevin

Sounds like you are making cracking progress!

> The demise of Tony's framework for Xap left me with a bit of a void
from my
> own perspective (Visual Basic)- and I am just about to turn to
creating a
> new framework and the incorporation of Patricks OCX .

I would have thought, at least in theory, that the OCX would be
easier to use than Tony's framework - it hides a lot of the nitty
gritty detail, and there are examples to show you how it's done.

I very much doubt that it's actually possible to implement xAP (or
XPL for that matter) robustly using *just* VB - I don't think that
the MS control buffers messages adequately, and I believe (but can't
be 100% certain) that I've seen UDP packets being unnecessarily
dropped - which is obviously problematic in the long run. Hopefully
the ocx won't suffer from similar issues.

> I don't know if there has been any progress on HomeVision support
and xAP or
> HomeSeer /xAP - for me these, particularly the latter, as 'top of
the
> wishlist' at the moment.

A generic homeseer plugin using the current API is tricky, but not
impossible. One-off plugins are easy enough. Lack of progress on this
front from me is mainly down to my own loss of interest in homeseer -
I tried it and it wasn't for me, so the incentive isn't really there.

I will announce the GUI stuff to the list once its finished. I don't
want to force anyones hand WRT to the config side of things.

Patrick