From: Bob Jacobsen [mailto:jacobsen@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 16 March 2010 15:35
To: Automation; Neil Wrightson
Subject: xAP and JMRI naming

I think we're pretty close to getting the xAP connection to work, so
it's time to start thinking about the next step in connecting JMRI and
xAP.

Normally, when connecting JMRI and external systems, we connect status
messages from the system to "Sensors", and use
"Turnouts" to send
status change commands to the external system.

Using the Insteon control system as an example, when we see a status
report on Insteon address 12.34.56, we create a JMRI sensor with the
name PS12.34.56 that matches that status.  Another Insteon unit with
address 45.A3.11 will get matched to a JMRI sensor called PS45.A3.11,
etc.  All the JMRI tools then interact with those. You can give them
simpler user names, set options with them, etc.  Similarly for
outputs, where the names are PTsomething.

So what's the corresponding thing for an xAP name?

xap-hbeat
{
source=JMRI.test.1
interval=60
port=10000
hop=1
v=12
uid=FFFFFFFF
class=xap-hbeat.alive
}

I can construct a name string from this entire message (class, uid,
source, etc) but is that all needed?  Or is just "source"
sufficient?
Or perhaps source+class?

If we can get a trace of a xAP installation doing something, perhaps
that'll help us figure out what a convenient, but sufficiently
powerful, name convention would be.

Bob