RE: Recent model SqueezeBox display and control ...

mysqueezebox.com is a bunch of copies of Squeezebox Server running on
server farm somewhere. The player really is just connected to it and not to
your local server. I don't think there's a move away from local servers, I
think it's just that Logitech realise, correctly, that there's a big market
of people out there who'd like to listen to net radio and music services
but
don't want or need or understand a scary-sounding server in the house.

This multi-server model gets clouded a little because there is a UDP
broadcast protocol that the servers use to discover each other on a LAN.
Then there's an http request that they make to each other to get a list of
players connected. A server will also make a call to that same webservice
on
mysqueezebox.com if you're registered with it. This is how the player menu
in the web interface works; it knows of players on the LAN and what server
they are connected to even though they aren't connected to the server
hosting that web interface.

But you can't install the xAP plugin on mysqueezebox.com - so the short
answer to your question is no.

Things are about to get interesting with the Touch however. It runs its own
cut down server, principally so you can play songs from an attached flash
card or USB drive. No plugin's allowed however. But the Touch (and Radio)
are powerful enough to run their own xAP software. This was true for
controller too but it powers down every time you look away from it so it's
not much use as a xAP device. Touch is generally on. It's a player,
controller and server all in one box.

So the right migration for xAP on Squeezebox is to extend xAP from the
server and have it supported in the controller part of these new smart
clients natively. It's just that right now we have this awkward
half-way-house of dumb players talking to a remote server we can't extend.