Re: xAP interface to Alertme Smartplugs

  • Subject: Re: xAP interface to Alertme Smartplugs
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 08:24:40 -0000

Does anyone know of an alternative to the SmartPlug but with the same
funct=
ionallity i.e. accurate power monitoring (as opposed to just a current
sens=
or and voltage assumption) and ability to be controlled via xAP (or at the
=
possibility to be controlled)?

I know about the Plogg but at =A355 a unit that is a bit expensive. I've
co=
me across Plugwise which is a Dutch company but info suggests a UK version
=
is iminenet.

Anything else?

Paul

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, "Paul Bendall" <paul@...>
wrote:

> Kevin,
>=20
> Thanks for the investigation. I must admit I hadn't considered a
call-bac=
k over the internet I assumed it would be to the hub. Shame as the device
l=
ooked promising and at a good price point as well.
>=20
> Paul
>=20
> --- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@>
wro=
te:

> > Just had a quick look over their current API and I can't see any
way of=
=20
> > getting at the power consumption figures :-( - either from the
plugs or=
=20
> > the hub.  There is a call to turn a plug on/off but that's about
it :-(
> >=20=20
> > Even if there was then those remote API calls also suffer from
the=20
> > following caveat..
> >=20
> > "Requests to the API are rate limited. Should a request fail
because of=
=20
> > rate limiting, you will see the following HTTP error: 503
Service=20
> > Temporarily Unavailable It is therefore important to handle this
error=
=20
> > gracefully. The extent to which requests are limited can be
reviewed on=
=20
> > a case-by-case basis. If you believe your application needs
less=20
> > restrictive rate limiting, please contact support"
> >=20
> > Which makes any prospect of getting useful realtime (ish) data
from=20
> > plugs unlikely -   AlertMe really do need to have some local API
calls=
=20
> > for such  applications or the means to handle bucketloads of
remote=20
> > ones.     I suspect part of their reluctance is that if the
internet=20
> > connection fails then they have data rates over GPRS to pay
for...
> >=20
> > So it doesn't look like a xAP conduit is very practical.
> >=20
> >    Kevin
> >=20
> >=20
> > Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> > >

> > > AIUI it the AlertMe API actually makes calls to their
central server
> > > (over the internet) rather than to your local AlertMe ZigBee
hub - wh=
ich
> > > is a real shame as it introduces latency/dependency . It
would be nic=
> > > if at least some appropriate API calls were handled locally.
So for m=
> > > this caused a certain loss of interest but I could have got
it wrong =
as
> > > I only spent a few minutes looking. I'm not sure if you also
need
> > > their monthly subscribed version for this ?
> > >
> > > They haven't yet announced their 'power bundle' yet - ie the
hub/plug=
> > > have they ?
> > >
> > > Nearly a purchaser ....

newsletter? The=