xAPSonos

Hi,

I am hoping this weekend to release a beta of xAPSonos.   What I'm
after now is feedback from anyone interested in this as to features they
might suggest for inclusion and then some beta testers ....

Currently this xAP Intranet enabled Windows (only) application
implements UPnP discovery, monitoring and control of multiple
ZonePlayers, and presents eachplayer  independently as a named sub
address of the main application.  Each uses much the same schema Edward
has implemented for the SqueezeCentre plugin i.e principally the
xAP-audio schema augmented with some BSC endpoints.

http://www.xapautomation.org/index.php?title=Audio_and_Media_Control_Schema

http://www.xapautomation.org/index.php?title=Basic_Status_and_Control_Schema

Edward has some excellent documentation that further describes the
schema in section 4 of his instructions.
http://www.edjo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/edward/xAP/Slim/Manual.html

There are some extensions to the xap-audio schema in Edwards
implementation that are SqueezeCentre specific and likewise some in mine
that are Sonos specific.   I'm also intending a few more BSC endpoints
to allow for easier integration with other xAP applications/devices.
Certainly a BSC endpoint for each device to allow switching an AV amp
on/off when a zone is playing (or later paused) and control of
transport, volume, etc.

There is no capability within the Sonos system to display messages
on the ZP controller screens so there is no OSD or Display schema
implementation.     Playlist management will be included but may be
feature limited in the first beta.  I have not as yet implemented a
'1-way' system to allow Sonos controllers to control xAP devices (often
achieved with dummy tracks) but I may investigate that later, however
it's of limited interest to me as I have other remotes to do this.  The
web interface offered by the application (xAP Intranet) at this stage is
intended for configuration or display only - rather than control.  You
can however use any other xAP aware HA applications for your own UI
implementations including xAP Desktop to create a custom Windows widget.

Those using the xAP gateway can also now integrate Sonos into
HomeVision or to an extent C-Bus eg a dimmer group that controls Sonos
volume.  Integration is mainly for non alphanumeric data due to string
handling restrictions within HV/CB - but other applications can use the
full meta data including cover art.

One of the great benefits of xAP is that devices like Sonos are
abstracted to appropriate schema - in this case xap-audio.   If you then
create a system that uses xAP control then the player hardware is not
important - you could mix say Sonos, SqueezePlayers, WinAMP, TelCanto
and other xap-audio enabled players and the control system can handle
them all just the same.   Likewise should my current favourite of Sonos
be superceded in a few years by a new system , then as long as a xAP
conduit is available for the new device it will be controllable by your
existing system.    I have half implemented xap-audio conduits for
Escient, Imerge and Request too - although incomplete as they lack
playlist management features ( way down on my todo list currently ).

Cheers Kevin