Re: xAP vs. xPL: Differences, Benefits

  • Subject: Re: xAP vs. xPL: Differences, Benefits
  • From: "brian.michel" <brian.michel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:13:57 -0000

Wow this is great, exactly what I wanted to see. I think I'm going to
dig into xAP first and see what I can do and then bridge my way over and
try to incorporate xPL.

Thanks!

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, "Edward Pearson"
<edward.mailgroup@...> wrote:

> The current state is that both protocols are well established, have a
keen
> following and many apps developed each for them.
>
> When you look at the specs there's little difference - the
'on-the-wire'
> format for both protocols clearly shows their common ancestry. I have
> written code that deals with them both and found it easy since xPL is
> subset of xAP in terms of message format.
>
> The clearer difference is at the application level. With xPL you
really are
> buying into using xPL-HAL as your central controller and rules engine.
xAP
> does mandate what you use to embed your automation rules. There are
> advantages and disadvantages to both philosophies; and it's largely a
matter
> of taste as to what you prefer.
>
> If you are building your own software then there is no need to choose
one or
> the other; as dealing with both is only slightly harder that dealing
with
> one. I can help you with example code (in C#) if that helps.
>
> Off the top of my head (more illustrative than definitive) the main
> differences in the message formats are:
> * xPL defines smaller limits on identifier sizes and is generally more
> terse.
> * xAP has both a numeric (UID) and text (source) description of the
message
> sender. No UID in xPL.
> * xAP allows multiple message blocks in the message body; xPL has one.
> As you can see the differences at this level are pretty slight.
>
> Higher up:
> * xPL defines, as part of the protocol, a common type structure
(command,
> status etc) for messages. xAP does not mandate that in the protocol
> definition but lets the schema definitions do that. Schema such as BSC
and
> TSC define very similar concepts.
> * xPL defines a mechanism for device configuration (using xAPLHAL) and
xAP
> does not.
>
> The difference in the range of applications available for each
protocol says
> nothing about the suitability of one or the other for a given problem
- it's
> just an indication of the areas of interest of the followers of each.
But if
> one has your 'kiler app' already then that's one means to choose.
>
> HTH
>
> Edward

Behalf Of Paul Gale
> > Sent: 09 June 2009 11:01
> > To: 'xap_automation@xxxxxxx'
> > Subject: RE: [xap_automation] Re: xAP vs. xPL: Differences,
Benefits

> > Yes, I agree - it's really down to which apps you need - no
reason not
> > to run both!
> >
> > For me it was killer apps like switchboard and Kevin H's CBus-
> > HomVision-xAP hardware gateway that sold me on xAP :)
> >
> > Paul.

Behalf Of turner228
> > > Sent: 08 June 2009 21:15
> > > To: xap_automation@xxxxxxx
> > > Subject: [xap_automation] Re: xAP vs. xPL: Differences,
Benefits

> > > Hi Brian
> > >
> > > I am not sure that describing xPL and xAP as feuding is
particularly
> > > relevant to the current position. Certainly it is true that
there
> > were
> > > disagreements many years ago when xAP first started, and
some went
> > > their own way but I am not aware of any 'feuding' going on
now.

> > > However all this was long before I got involved in using and
> > developing
> > > my own applications. My decision on choosing xAP was not
based on any
> > > philosophical approach to home automation but was based on
the fit of
> > > the then available xAP applications to my needs, and
availablity of
> > the
> > > tools and information that I needed to create my own to fill
the
> > gaps.
> > >
> > > Since that time a wide range of xAP applications and
hardware have
> > > become available and a number of other applications have
included xAP
> > > support  as well. xAP Floorplan even provides a bridge to
xPL....

> > > Kevin T
> > >
> > > --- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, "brian.michel"

environment, and
> > > have found the two feuding protocols, xAP and xPL. I'm
trying to
> > decide
> > > which one to go with, however they are both extremely
similar. I do
> > > know that xPL forked from the xAP code, but I cannot find
out why,
> > and
> > > what differs between the two protocols. Is one better than
the other,
> > > do they provide the same things? They seem to almost be
identical,
> > but
> > > I'm having a hard time locating exactly where the
differences lie.