Re: How suitable would Xap be for monitoring Gas + Electric?

  • Subject: Re: How suitable would Xap be for monitoring Gas + Electric?
  • From: "Gary" <questuk1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:33:13 -0000

Hi,

I have been busy in interfacing my gas meter to my RS232 port and
would now like to interface it to xap. I would like to datestamp each
pulse which comes every 22 seconds roughly and store this in a
database. Also would like some pictorial interface etc.

This is just the 1st of various sensors, windows doors etc PIR.

Any advice on how i can get xap to display the info, at first just
starting with the Gas meter. Its needs a counter to keep total of
pulses, then average them and also output them graphically?

And advice welcome?

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, "Gary" <questuk1@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OK thanks James, that's given me a much clearer view of Xap and its
uses.

> Regards
>

> Gary
>
> --- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, James Traynor
> <james.traynor@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It really comes down to what you want to do with the data, but
the
> short
> > answer is yes it should be part of the system.  If all you are
doing is
> > logging data to a database, and everything you are going to use
the
> data
> > with is on teh pc connected to the PIC, then xAP isn't going to
help
> you
> > much. However I would imagine you want to share the data, display
the
> > data, maybe even IM the data or speak the data. That's really
where xAP
> > will help you as alot of the connectors are done. I don't know
about
> gas
> > but there is an app to xAP enable a currentcost electricity
monitor
> > which will be probably be useful.
> > The .net framework will give you all the xAP elements to your
> > application you will need to send and receive messages. Floorplan
could
> > be used to log data and graph it too with some scripting.  Many
> > possibilities, mainly depends on platform and what you want to
display
> > where. Remember though that xAP is a protocol, so is ideal to get
info
> > from A to B, well A to everywhere really, but you still need apps
> > for the receiving and sending!
> >
> > James
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I haven't used Xap yet, but I am intending to monitor my Gas
usage per
> > > minute and eventually my electric. I would like real time
data and
> > > historical and it would be nice to have graphs.
> > >
> > > I had considered writing some code in Visual Basic 2008
express, but
> > > am wondering if all the hard work has been done for me and
use Xap?

> > > The data will eventually be sent into my PC using RS232 or
USB via a
> > > pic micro. But for initial trial will most probably use
parallel
port