Re: Licensing of xap .net library

Hi Edward,

> What are you planning?
I was evaluating the lib whether to use it for receiving messages from the
SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php)
tool which can be configured to happily broadcast xap messages.

> The original author of xAPFramework.Net (more recently referred to as
xFx)
> was Stuart Booth. He distributed the software with the GNU General
Public
> License (GPL) Version 2, June 1991. A copy of the licence file he
> distributed with the code is attached.
Ah ok, that means a copy of the source code of the .net tools needs to be
published as well since it's not LGPL

> The xAPFramework.Net is now in maintenance mode. I have been working
on a
> replacement for it (under the working title of xFx-Express) for a
couple of
> years now; it's quite complete and should be in beta soon. It's
completely
> new; no code in common and pretty different from the old framework.
It's
> written from the point of view of the consumer of the framework,
having a
> fluent interface syntax. The design is based on a few years experience
of
> using the old framework. I now use the new framework for all my
applications
> apart from Viewer. The next major version of Viewer (v4 currently in
Beta)
> continues to use xAPFramework. Viewer v5 (2010) will migrate to
xFx-Express.

That sounds great, the xfx library you're maintaining is already a great
thing, thanks for all the good work.

> The licensing for xFx-Express is yet to be decided and I'm happy to
discuss
I'd appreciate LGPL, so i could distribute my tool without the source but
using the library :)

> Can't speak for any of the other frameworks.
Are there other interesting .net libraries? Since it's a quite simple use
case i'd like to check those out, too.

Kind regards
Niclas