IDRATEK announce xAP support

IDRATEK have announced xAP support within version 2.3 of Cortex -
their
home automation application package that supports their range of IDRANet
modules.

IDRANet is a very nicely price range of modules all interconnected via a
high speed multi master serial bus - usually a CAT5 cable.  They offer
digital inputs, outputs, switches, audio in/out, analog I/O, dimmers,
relays, X10 and even some LCD display capability.  The modules can be
programmed to inter operate standalone using ' Reflex' but their
functionality can be enhanced when runing the Cortex Windows application
for more sophisticated control.  Should Cortex fail the modules
automatically drop back to Reflex operation.  This is very much
inkeeping with xAP - distributed or centralised - or both. Cortex itself
is a very different HA application with neat features for occupancy
detection at room level and associated security, lighting and heating
control. Changes are logged to a DB and also graphed for many sensors.
A realtime floorplan type display is used as well as remote web
access.   I've only scratched the surface of this application - I keep
finding new aspects.  Mutiple Cortex applications/ IDARNets  can be
linked over the internet and you can have one Cortex application acting
as an automatic backup controller for another even. Something we've
talked about here as a great potential xAP feature a few times.

Basically the individual  modules on IDRANet expose themselves using xAP
BSC both for real time event reporting and control.    Also you can
integrate xAP external devices into Cortex to be used as sensor sources
or triggers.   Really neat.   Even better there is a xAP object that
allows you to construct your own schemas either for receipt into , or
sending from Cortex -so you aren't limited to just BSC.    I now have
all my C-Bus lighting , PIR's and xAP 1-wire sensors nicely integrated
into Cortex and logged graphed and triggering IDRANET modules.  .  My
external lighting sensors also work to brighten my C-Bus lights as it
gets progressively darker outside. The aspect I really want to focus on
is my heating control and Cortex offers very advanced fuzzy logic
control of this  - lots to play with..

I'm using IDRANet/Cortex in two ways.  Firstly as a way of getting a
nice range of approved low cost networked modules that are accessible
via xAP - including lightswitch replacement sensors/switches. The DIN
dimmer channels at £100 for 4 channels are very attractively priced .
Secondly I'm increasingly liking Cortex as a control application for my
existing xAP devices. It continues to surprise me with as to how well
thought out it is and fully featured with aspects just not present in
other applications.

Enjoying this ... I'll post more of my experiences as I go on if people
are interested (?) - including some screenshots.

A brief introduction to IDRATEK products
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1665

IDRATEK Website
http://www.idratek.com/

cheers Kevin