Re: Re: xAP Plugin for HouseBot - a touchscreen based frontend.

Writing a xAP plugin for a HA application can be at many levels of
integration sophistication.  xAP uses schema which are basically just
definitions of the expected reporting and control messages that styles
of devices use.  By having categories of schema eg 'audio/media control'
rather than say a specific schema for an XYZ digital media player  we
can achieve device independent integration.   At some stage with a
plugin you need to decide which schema you wish to support and/or have
an ability to support custom schema.

Almost all HA applications and controllers ( even Crestron and AMX) tend
to store their device state information as either binary, level or text
information, or combinations of these types. A light for example might
be OFF, ON and have a level of 50% brightness - or it could be
'unknown'.  It is even possible (although discouraged as there are more
appropriate schema ) to model very complex devices eg an AV amplifier in
this way as a collection of individual endpoints  (volume, bass,
loudness, speaker selection etc).   A device could expose basic
functionality via BSC as well as richer schema  .

In xAP we have a very useful schema called 'Basic Status and Control' or
BSC which addresses these simple devices.  It also offers discovery of
devices and their capabilities, ensuring inter operability at both a
control and status level.  It's well worth a study of this schema as it
will provide a great basis for your first xAP plugin capabilities within
Premise.  It could in some cases suffice as the only schema needed.  The
newer TSC is also a good second schema to include.

http://www.xapautomation.org/index.php?title=Basic_Status_and_Control_Schema
http://www.xapautomation.org/index.php?title=xAP_Telemetry_Status_and_Control_Schema

The first beta of the HouseBot plugin maps HB device property values to
BSC types/values and also automatically recognises xAP BSC devices ,
allowing you to create devices (property values) within HB. BSC
dovetails nicely with HB's device stuctures in this respect and allows
realtime bidirectional synchronisation of the devices' status as well as
control.  This allows you to achieve most things that you would want -
although for complete integration you might still involve some xAP
'smarts' elsewhere.   Edward said the 2nd beta (RC) will build on this
based on the  feedback users have provided so we await that with interest.

I have found the plugin really useful - inparticular for aproviding a
great touch screen front end to a xAP world and also providing the logic
engine/scheduler.

cheers Kevin

Taras wrote:

> I look forward to testing the 2nd beta.
>
> I experimented with Housebot in the past. I'm interested to learn how
> this xAP plugin is designed and how it interfaces with Housebot.
>
> I'd like to build a xAP driver for Premise Home Control. I figure if I
> understand how the Housebot plugin works it will help me design one
for
> Premise.
>
> --- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:xap_automation%40yahoogroups.com>,
"Edward Pearson"