Re: New embedded controller: opn-max

  • Subject: Re: New embedded controller: opn-max
  • From: "Daniel Berenguer" <dberenguer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 06:34:43 -0000

Hi Kevin,

You'll have to upgrade to OpenSlug 3.10 directly. You can do it now or
wait until I post some instructions.

Daniel.

Kevin Hawkins <lists@>
> >     wrote:
> >     >
> >     >> This is really exciting Daniel - great stuff ... and
the even
> >     better
> >     >> news is that I alredy have a NSLU2 that I bought a
while back
> >     so I'm
> >     >> keen to give this a try and to provide you as much
feedback as
> >     I can.
> >     >>
> >     >> Cheers Kevin
> >     >>
> >     >> Daniel Berenguer wrote:
> >     >>
> >     >>> Hi xAP community!
> >     >>>
> >     >>> I'm proud to introduce opn-max =96 a new
generation of embedded
> >     network
> >     >>> controllers aimed to work as high-level xAP
masters (good
> >     >>> introduction, don't you think so?).
> >     >>>
> >     >>> http://www.opnode.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=3Dopn-max
> >     >>>
> >     >>> This controller is based on a Linksys NSLU2 and
only needs an
> >     external
> >     >>> drive (memory stick or hard disk) to store
applications, web
> >     pages and
> >     >>> custom files. The NSLU2 typically costs less
than 80 =80 (VAT
> >     apart).
> >     >>> Just add the price of a memory stick, install
the necessary
> >     software
> >     >>> into it and=85 voil=E0, you have an opn-max.
> >     >>>
> >     >>> Opn-max, as any other opnode, is an open source
design.
This means
> >     >>> that you can download the source code from
sourceforge (not
> >     yet=85) in
> >     >>> case you want to contribute to this project.
This also means
> >     that you
> >     >>> can buy your NSLU2 from your local supplier and
then convert
> >     it into
> >     >>> an opn-max controller for free.
> >     >>>
> >     >>> I'm going to need a lot of help to fine-tune
opn-max so those
> >     >>> volunteers=85 be ready to spend some time on the
project becaus=
> >     it has
> >     >>> plenty of features:
> >     >>>
> >     >>>  - xAP BSC interface (I'll try to add support
for other
> >     schemas in a
> >     >>> near future)
> >     >>>  - Web server for configuring and controlling
opn-max
> >     >>>  - Event manager
> >     >>>  - Perl scripting with access to endpoints
> >     >>>  - Customizable web PHP pages with access to
endpoints
> >     >>>  - SQLite database. Possibility of saving
endpoint values into
> >     SQLite
> >     >>> tables
> >     >>>  - Web graphs and charts
> >     >>>  - SSH server for administration and
installation purposes
> >     >>>  - FTP server
> >     >>>
> >     >>> These features are already implemented and
opn-max is
operational.
> >     >>> However, so many functionalities need a deep
validation
process in
> >     >>> real applications. I'm just running opn-max on
my workbench
> >     and my
> >     >>> current requirements in terms of home automation
are pretty
> >     limited.
> >     >>>
> >     >>> Moreover, Alicia, my personal web developer, has
been very
> >     busy these
> >     >>> months so she couldn't help me on this project
as she wanted.
> >     This
> >     >>> means that some web pages could need some
rework. Anyway,
> >     we'll see
> >     >>> this during the beta-tests.
> >     >>>
> >     >>> During the next weeks I'll try to fix some minor
bugs and
> >     prepare the
> >     >>> necessary documentation to guide the first
beta-testers
during the
> >     >>> installation of opn-max on their Slugs. I also
have to upload
> >     opn-max
> >     >>> to opnode's sourceforge repository and create a
yahoo group