Re: Re: New embedded controller: opn-max

Plus - it's even named after you ;-)

Dug out my NSLU2 now - should I upgrade the firmware to Linksys latest
(as it has much older currently) and then have a go at installing
OpenSlug 3.10 ?   I'm virtually a Linux newbie - I wonder can I do this
using a binary image or must I go the compilation route - I'm guessing
the latter would allow me to adapt source later.     Or should I just
await further instructions ??

Kevin Hawkins <lists@...>
>     wrote:
>     >
>     >> This is really exciting Daniel - great stuff ... and the
even
>     better
>     >> news is that I alredy have a NSLU2 that I bought a while
back
>     so I'm
>     >> keen to give this a try and to provide you as much
feedback as
>     I can.
>     >>
>     >> Cheers Kevin
>     >>
>     >> Daniel Berenguer wrote:
>     >>
>     >>> Hi xAP community!
>     >>>
>     >>> I'm proud to introduce opn-max ? a new generation of
embedded
>     network
>     >>> controllers aimed to work as high-level xAP masters
(good
>     >>> introduction, don't you think so?).
>     >>>
>     >>> http://www.opnode.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opn-max
>     >>>
>     >>> This controller is based on a Linksys NSLU2 and only
needs an
>     external
>     >>> drive (memory stick or hard disk) to store
applications, web
>     pages and
>     >>> custom files. The NSLU2 typically costs less than 80
? (VAT
>     apart).
>     >>> Just add the price of a memory stick, install the
necessary
>     software
>     >>> into it and? voilà, you have an opn-max.
>     >>>
>     >>> Opn-max, as any other opnode, is an open source
design. This means
>     >>> that you can download the source code from
sourceforge (not
>     yet?) in
>     >>> case you want to contribute to this project. This
also means
>     that you
>     >>> can buy your NSLU2 from your local supplier and then
convert
>     it into
>     >>> an opn-max controller for free.
>     >>>
>     >>> I'm going to need a lot of help to fine-tune opn-max
so those
>     >>> volunteers? be ready to spend some time on the
project because
>     it has
>     >>> plenty of features:
>     >>>
>     >>>  - xAP BSC interface (I'll try to add support for
other
>     schemas in a
>     >>> near future)
>     >>>  - Web server for configuring and controlling opn-max
>     >>>  - Event manager
>     >>>  - Perl scripting with access to endpoints
>     >>>  - Customizable web PHP pages with access to
endpoints
>     >>>  - SQLite database. Possibility of saving endpoint
values into
>     SQLite
>     >>> tables
>     >>>  - Web graphs and charts
>     >>>  - SSH server for administration and installation
purposes
>     >>>  - FTP server
>     >>>
>     >>> These features are already implemented and opn-max is
operational.
>     >>> However, so many functionalities need a deep
validation process in
>     >>> real applications. I'm just running opn-max on my
workbench
>     and my
>     >>> current requirements in terms of home automation are
pretty
>     limited.
>     >>>
>     >>> Moreover, Alicia, my personal web developer, has been
very
>     busy these
>     >>> months so she couldn't help me on this project as she
wanted.
>     This
>     >>> means that some web pages could need some rework.
Anyway,
>     we'll see
>     >>> this during the beta-tests.
>     >>>
>     >>> During the next weeks I'll try to fix some minor bugs
and
>     prepare the
>     >>> necessary documentation to guide the first
beta-testers during the