Re: Re: New embedded controller: opn-max

Thanks Daniel.
Does this mean that the slug can't be used as a NAS at the same time
as being an opn-max? (I did look at the link but maybe I missed that
bit).

Cheers,

Tim.

On 9/22/07, Daniel Berenguer <dberenguer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> That's indeed one of the interests of having an opn-max in your
network :=
)

<timsyahoo@...> wrote:

> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > This sounds pretty cool :-)
> > If I understand you correctly, I can run a xAP controller on a
slug
> > and not have to have a PC on 24/7...did I get that right?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Tim.
> >

> > On 9/21/07, Daniel Berenguer <dberenguer@...> wrote:
> > > Hi xAP community!
> > >
> > > I'm proud to introduce opn-max =96 a new generation of
embedded netwo=
rk
> > > controllers aimed to work as high-level xAP masters (good
> > > introduction, don't you think so?).
> > >
> > > http://www.opnode.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=3Dopn-max
> > >
> > > This controller is based on a Linksys NSLU2 and only needs
an externa=
> > > drive (memory stick or hard disk) to store applications, web
pages an=
> > > custom files. The NSLU2 typically costs less than 80 =80
(VAT apart).
> > > Just add the price of a memory stick, install the necessary
software
> > > into it and=85 voil=E0, you have an opn-max.
> > >
> > > Opn-max, as any other opnode, is an open source design. This
means
> > > that you can download the source code from sourceforge (not
yet=85) i=
> > > case you want to contribute to this project. This also means
that you
> > > can buy your NSLU2 from your local supplier and then convert
it into
> > > an opn-max controller for free.
> > >
> > > I'm going to need a lot of help to fine-tune opn-max so
those
> > > volunteers=85 be ready to spend some time on the project
because it h=
as
> > > plenty of features:
> > >
> > >  - xAP BSC interface (I'll try to add support for other
schemas in a
> > > near future)
> > >  - Web server for configuring and controlling opn-max
> > >  - Event manager
> > >  - Perl scripting with access to endpoints
> > >  - Customizable web PHP pages with access to endpoints
> > >  - SQLite database. Possibility of saving endpoint values
into SQLite
> > > tables
> > >  - Web graphs and charts
> > >  - SSH server for administration and installation purposes
> > >  - FTP server
> > >
> > > These features are already implemented and opn-max is
operational.
> > > However, so many functionalities need a deep validation
process in
> > > real applications. I'm just running opn-max on my workbench
and my
> > > current requirements in terms of home automation are pretty
limited.

> > > Moreover, Alicia, my personal web developer, has been very
busy these
> > > months so she couldn't help me on this project as she
wanted. This
> > > means that some web pages could need some rework. Anyway,
we'll see
> > > this during the beta-tests.
> > >
> > > During the next weeks I'll try to fix some minor bugs and
prepare the
> > > necessary documentation to guide the first beta-testers
during the
> > > installation of opn-max on their Slugs. I also have to
upload opn-max
> > > to opnode's sourceforge repository and create a yahoo group
for the
> > > opnode project.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Daniel.