Re: Re: UPNP media server?

I am not overly familiar with UPnP but AIUI you can't push or force
content from the server to a 'random' client , the UPnP controller has
to marshall this and as such is often merged in functionality with the
UPnP renderer (player).  Often renderers are restricted to only be
useable by their own controller and occasionally servers only playable
by certain renderers (eg Sonos).

I don't know what OS the Roku units run but yes, as a Linux guru I can
see the appeal of the device you saw.  I think the opportunities here
are really interesting so I hope you do have a go...

Daniel Berenguer wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> I was looking in a way of controlling the MediaServer via xAP but
> you're right, maybe I should consider controlling the MediaRenderer
> via UPNP in some way.
>
> On the other hand, the MusicPal runs Linux inside... it would be nice
> to hack this device...
>
> Daniel.
>
> --- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:xap_automation%40yahoogroups.com>,
Kevin Hawkins
> <yahoogroupskh@...> wrote:
> >
> > Let me just check... Do you mean a UPnP Server controllable via
xAP ?
> > Rather than a UPnP client/renderer or a UPnP controller ? I think
> > maybe you want a controller to request a song be played on a
renderer.

> > The only UPnP server software with xAP that I am aware of is the
now
> > rather dormant TelCanto which has a partial implementation of
xAP.

> > However there are some UPnP Windows script components available
that
> > work with Sonos . Sonos is (deliberately) a rather non standard
UPnP
> > implementation - to keep their system closed (retain sales) -
these
> > scripts should be fairly easy to adapt to general UPnP
application
> > although I guess you prefer Linux.
> >
> > What has been suggested/requested several times is a general UPnP
/ xAP
> > bridge application - and that would work well as not only the
audio
> > schema in UPnP could be used but there is a basic device control
schema
> > too - that is remarkably consistent with xAP BSC :-)
> >
> > Also I am in touch with another developer, just starting with
xAP, who
> > is familiar with UPnP (audio) and has also suggested writing such
an
> > application himself. So you may be in luck but I haven't heard
> anything
> > recently so not sure if that's going anywhere.
> >
> > The Roku (now Pinnacle) SoundBridge products all support UPnP (as
> > renderers and controllers) and some of those are very low cost
now as
> > they have cut down on the display type used - was VFD now LCD. .
> There
> > is also the SoundBridge Radio product - it's a great quality
build and
> > sounds really good - but slightly more expensive (and larger)
than
> that
> > device you linked to. It's around 175 euros if you shop around. I
> > have one here and I am really impressed. It can display xAP
messages
> > too ;-)
> >
> > http://www.rokulabs.com/ <http://www.rokulabs.com/>
> >

> > Kevin
> >

> > Daniel Berenguer wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > Is there any xAP-enabled UPNP media server (Mediatomb,
TwonkyVision,