Re: xap xfx Service HUB won't install win2k server

  • Subject: Re: xap xfx Service HUB won't install win2k server
  • From: "hometecky" <hometecky@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 11:26:09 -0000

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, Gregg Liming <gregg@...>
wrote:

> Hi Edward,
>
> Edward Pearson wrote:
> > I've no w2k to test this on but I've got a theory...
> >
> > Given that you have installed the service ok on an XP box, pick
up the
> > installed file structure, normally
> > "C:\Program Files\xFx\xAP Hub Windows Service\*"
> > and copy it to the w2k box
> >
> > You can then run a manual install using the installutil.exe
program that
> > was installed as part of .Net 2.0, normally

"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\InstallUtil.exe"

> > This gives you the ability to specify, on the command line, a
username and password for the service. I think the problem is that
> > the special account (LocalService) that the MSI installer
version tries
> > to install with was new to XP.
>
> It definitely is the case that LocalService is not available on
win2k.

> > You may want to create
> > a user account specifically to run the hub service.
> > So the command to install would be something like:

"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\InstallUtil.exe"
> > username=xap password=ping "C:\Program Files\xFx\xAP Hub
Windows
> > Service\Hub.exe"
>
> A couple of observations: (1) switches (e.g., username) must be
preceded
> w/ a forward slash (e.g., /username) and (2) most importantly, it
> appears that your installer ignores these switches.  Specifically,
the
> above (w/ minor tweaks) does not work.  So, I'm wondering if it
might be
> possible for you to adjust your installer so that it can be passed
> switches.  A technique (and sample code) can be found here:
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/install/ScriptedServiceInstall.asp?
df=100&forumid=115279&exp=0&select=2013614

> Gregg
still no luck on getting this going on my win2K server. I did notice
the / for the user name and password. I tried the admin account and
password that is used to log on to the box but no joy. Also tried
the localsystem for the account still no joy. If any one has been
successful in making this play on win2K server please post the steps
to do so.
Thanks
Paul