Re: SB Error + VOIP routing

Quoting Paul Gale (2/9/07 7:38 AM):
> Thanks Gregg - sorry - should have been clearer, I've been using SB
> from the early days and rate it very highly :) The Asterisk
integration
> is what interests me now :)

The axc/SB integration would provide whatever existing functionality
that you are accustomed to and possibly more.  Since axc sends all of
the call state tracking messages, SB is able to use them and show full
call disposition in the call logs.  For example, on inbound, SB will
show whether the call was answered or not and its duration.  The same
thing applies to outbound call logging (only there currently is no
indication of whether the call was answered or not).  Getting the
outbound call logging working correctly required recent changes to SB
and axc.  The version that James linked to works just fine and I'll soon
post a version of axc that I'm now using.

Call dialing via SB is a feature that has worked--just not quite to my
full satisfaction.  Some of the changes required mods to axc and James
noted a recent one for "VoIP routing" in the start of this
thread.  If
you only use PSTN, then it doesn't matter as the current version is
fine.  But, if you want to differentiate which numbers should be dialed
out over which lines (which I do as they won't otherwise work), then the
very latest version is needed.  It's these more advanced dialing issues
that are still being worked through.

> Re Asterisk - well, it's more than just and answering machine I want
> - the ability to get emailed messages

As you might recall, axc does generate new VM message count info as well
as recurring VM message count info (read and and total).  Currently,
some other system (e.g., floorplan, etc.) needs to receive these
messages and then do something useful with them (e.g., generate TTS
and/or display messages).  I've toyed with the possibility of
integrating this sort of logic into axc if there's considerable value in
doing so.

> and call routing via the menus are
> great too plus I'd really like to develop an IVR system too that links
> into the HA systems and alarm (not sure where to start with that one
> though).

As a "proof-of-concept", I hacked up an * AGI script and a
menu-oriented
* dial-plan to be able to interrogate Jame's four via * and to convert
the response to * TTS.  In other words, I could pick up the handset,
dial some number (e.g., *2) and hear the current time (apparently, I
can't just look at my watch).  Since, four and SB can be used
cooperatively to ask for the last calls, a more useful function would be
to get last caller info announced into the phone.  Obviously, other
functions (e.g., enable/disable alarm) could be just as easily (or as
difficult as the case may be) done.  I probably ought to work on
cleaning up the AGI to better handle more dominant xAP schemas and to
extend out the example IVR dial-plan to be more realistic/representative
if there's interest.  At present, I don't see any way of making the
creation of such a menu "easy"; so, non-novice knowledge of * is
required.

Gregg