Re: xAP Plug-in for SlimServer beta release

The debate on what the right address should be may roll along for a
while so I've added broadcast address as a user parameter in the
next release. I intend to make this (beta2) available this evening.
It should resolve all the high priority issues raised.

On the address, in all the docs I've read (and I've done a fair
amount of Googling on this in the last 24 hours) 255.255.255.255 is
the limited (definitely not global) broadcast address, will only go
to nodes on the same subnet and and should never be routed.
192.168.1.255 will get routed across subnets to all addresses in
that (class C in this example) network. What I don't understand is
why your PC blocks 255.255.255.255; have you deliberately removed
this from the routing table to stop broadcast storms or do your run
multiple subnets maybe? It's a shame there's no way to identify the
netmask progrmatically from Perl in a way that's platform
independent because I'd be able to set the subnet broadcast
automatically if that was the case. Anyhow, with the address now
configurable, this is all academic!

Edward

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, Ron Wierckx <ron@...> wrote:

> Hi Edward,
>
> I only have MCExAP, some of my own apps, and had the old
Slimserver
> conduit and never had a problem.  I was quite surprised that yours
> didn't work for me right away.  I'm not sure how the others do it
but it
> was never a problem.
>
> I understand why you would want a global 255.255.255.255
broadcast, but
> it may be better if it was scalable.  I could see the problem with
> people using a direct connection to the Internet having these
broadcasts
> sent out.  I would think you would just want them to be
distributed to
> the subnet(s) that have xAp devices on them.
> I think just adding in the option of selecting how "global"
you
want the