Re: Re: Serial Bridge.

--------------060602000201070607030203

Dan,
You will need to consider how your serial device(s) will integrate with
other
xAP applications and consequently which class/schema to use.

BSC would probably make the most sense but then you will need
to generate responses to xAPBSC.Query, as a minimum.. Therefore
you'll need to parse received xAP packets (for the class and target).
And most other applications will also expect heartbeats.

As I've found out, all of a sudden the simple application is a full blown
implementation and whether it is serial or ethernet makes little difference
to the complexity (assuming you have an off the shelf IP stack, such as the
Microchip one).

Lehane

danward79 wrote:
> Hi Guy's
>
> Thanks for the responses.
>
> Lehane,
>
> I was hoping that I would be able to keep the devices simple i.e. just
> have them broadcast there light level every x mins.  Hence the
> occasional lost packet would not be a big issue.
>
> If I come up with somethink in the long run, I would like to actually
> have the devices broadcast onto my ethernet network.  At the moment, I
> don't want to have too many different networks round the house.
>
> Really I was looking to the serial bridge to allow experimentation,
> easilly, as I have a a few spare serial ports, of which one is
> connected to my dev board.
>
> I was thinking that if I do use ethernet in the long run, I would
> possible use a siteplayer board or a TWI Easy IP jobby from bascom.
>
> James,
>
> Thanks for the responce I will have a play and feed back.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dan
>
> --- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, Lehane Kellett <lehane@...>
wrote:

>> Dan,
>> Can't help with Patrick's code but I have been playing with RS485
>>
> serial
>
>> multidrop at 38k4.
>>
>> I guess you're going for xAP BSC and therefore will need two way
on the
>> serial bus?
>>
>> One problem you may encounter if you have a fairly busy xAP
network is
>> that the
>> serial line gets flooded unless the bridge takes some measures to
queue
>> and/or drop
>> packets.
>>
>> For a simple application with only a single device on the serial
line
>> you may want to put the
>> smarts in the PC end, like the TOM10.
>>
>> Lehane
>>

>> danward79 wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have downloaded Patrick's Serial Bridge.  What is the
commandline
>>> format?
>>>
>>> Is it xap-bridge.exe <port>?
>>>
>>> or are there other parameters required?
>>>
>>> I am wanting to play around with some AVR Microprocessors am I
right
>>> in assuming as long as the serial bridge is listening on the
correct
>>> port (6 in my case).  I just send a xAP msg over the serial
interface
>>> and the Bridge should handle it ok?
>>>
>>> I am looking at trying to make some simple light level
detector's
>>> using Bascom.
>>>
>>> Any tips?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>

>>> Yahoo! Groups Links

> Yahoo! Groups Links

--------------060602000201070607030203

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
Transitional//EN">
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>

Dan,<br>
You will need to consider how your serial device(s) will integrate with
other<br>
xAP applications and consequently which class/schema to use.<br>
BSC would probably make the most sense but then you will need<br>
to generate responses to xAPBSC.Query, as a minimum.. Therefore<br>
you'll need to parse received xAP packets (for the class and
target).<br>
And most other applications will also expect heartbeats.<br>
As I've found out, all of a sudden the simple application is a full
blown<br>
implementation and whether it is serial or ethernet makes little
difference<br>
to the complexity (assuming you have an off the shelf IP stack, such as
the<br>
Microchip one).<br>
Lehane<br>
danward79 wrote:
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">Hi Guy's

[...]

--- In <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:xap_automation@xxxxxxx";>xap_automation@xxxxxxx</a>,
Lehane Kellett <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:lehane@...";>&lt;lehane@...&gt;</a>
wrote:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">Dan,
Can't help with Patrick's code but I have been playing with RS485
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->serial
</pre>
<pre wrap="">multidrop at 38k4.

I guess you're going for xAP BSC and therefore will need two way on the
serial bus?

One problem you may encounter if you have a fairly busy xAP network is
that the
serial line gets flooded unless the bridge takes some measures to queue
and/or drop
packets.

For a simple application with only a single device on the serial line
you may want to put the
smarts in the PC end, like the TOM10.

Lehane

danward79 wrote:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">Hi,

I have downloaded Patrick's Serial Bridge.  What is the commandline
format?

Is it xap-bridge.exe &lt;port&gt;?