Anyone want anything added to the xAP/C-Bus gateway ?

  • Subject: Anyone want anything added to the xAP/C-Bus gateway ?
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:00:04 +0100

Hi,

The xAP to C-Bus gateways have been running happily for a couple of
years now (and is over 3 years old) and I have had no outstanding bug
notifications in the past year :-) , which makes me loathe to tinker
with it. However there are some features I want to add and so if there's
anything anyone else anyone would like me to consider then get in touch
and I'll see what can be done....

The main purpose of this update will be to add support for C-Bus
Wireless (in anticipation we may shortly see it here in the UK) . This
update will actually give full network bridging support , up to the
C-Bus limit of 6 chained bridges. At the moment I'm assuming people here
will usually share the lighting application across networks using common
groups so that is how it will be implemented.  I also hope to include
dynamic labelling as well allowing you to use xAP OSD messages to put
whatever you want on the DLT labels for example and change them on the
fly - eg  CallerID info, last call, what's on TV, weather forecast,
stock price  # emails , temperature etc on your (smallish) switch
displays.  There are some improvements like improved recovery should
your C-Bus network lose power whilst the gateway is running, and DHCP.

I have had no requests for the web interface and so I will probably
leave that out still. It seems people prefer fuller control via xAP.
Both the web server and ftp server are already running in all current
units so you could upload your own pages should you wish but you can't
link them to the C-Bus groups yet. This is really a memory constraint
which I hope to address later allowing naming of the C-Bus groups and of
course control and feedback.  All current units are upgradeable over
Ethernet and this will be a free upgrade  :-)

Further down the line I am looking at the feasibility of including
built in endpoint BSC 'mapping' within the code. The issue here is
configuration and naming storage which eventually will be administered
via the web server.   This would allow you to easily link for example
X10 and C-Bus . Currently you can of course already do this but this
would take one step out of the chain.  In fact I have my C-Bus wireless
remote switching some X10 and even DMX lights currently (but using
HomeSeer or BSC Mapper), and likewise an X10 remote could control C-Bus
loads. This might be better implemented in a second standalone xAP
embedded 'controller' however.  Of course once you've got C-Bus you will
really not tolerate anything else but this does give a way of migrating
from say X10 to C-Bus  (migrating ... aka as lessening SWMBO shouting
about the cost).

Although I have looked at Scenes I am not sure that I can really
offer anything that isn't better done within C-Bus itself. The reason
for this is that it is quite slow getting commands on and off C-Bus via
the serial interface - which makes group light switching appear 'rapid
sequential' rather than concurrent . So the inbuilt scenes are far
better.   One obvious area people might like some support for would be
other C-Bus applications eg the Trigger, Heating, Security, Telephony,
Temperature and Enable applications.  This may be awkward without the
matching hardware in some cases though. What has anyone got implemented
here ?  Whilst we're on that subject....whatever did happen to the C-Bus
thermostat we were promised at the first UKHA that Clipsal ever
presented at ?  :-(

I am particularly interested in hearing from those using MainLobby,
Xlobby, xAP Floorplan or other front end software with C-Bus to know
what I might do to improve anything here.

Kevin

PS I took the liberty of crossposting this to xAP Auto and UKHA (in case
there are any xAP interested bods lurking)  but any nitty gritty  is
probably best onwardly discussed on the xAP group or offlist.  I will
also be on the xAPTalk chat tonight if anyone wants to collar me there...