C-Bus to Ethernet xAP gateway - anyone need network bridge support ?

  • Subject: C-Bus to Ethernet xAP gateway - anyone need network bridge support ?
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:22:36 +0000

Re my hardware C-Bus to Ethernet (xAP) embedded controller board:

Having got my first hardware bridge now set up on my C-Bus network I am
in a position to add support for multiple networks in the controller
code if anyone wants it. Currently the xAP gateway only supports the
local (wired) segment. If you add any bridges (or wireless) then of
necessity you create several networks.  Before I bother doing this is
anyone in need of this feature ??     AFAICS to link groups
(switches/loads) across networks the easiest way is to 'connect
applications' across the bridge meaning that the group numbers are
actually shared (track each other) across the bridge.  If people are
implementing it like this then the multiple network issue isn't really
critical.   Remote loads on distant networks can be controlled and
tracked already and operate realtime in XLobby, MainLobby and Homeseer
.. and of course xAP applications like xAP floorplan (web frontended)
and xAP Desktop .  The only reason I can see not to use this approach is
if you have more than 255 groups ... anyone in that category ?
Otherwise FTTB I might just leave it as is.

Also would welcome any input (for future support) on other C-Bus
applications people are using apart from application 56 (Lighting) -
anyone using 'security' 'heating' or 'triggers' for example (fairly sure
no one is using 'telephony').

Kevin