Re: xAP X10 Connector Cmx Question

  • Subject: Re: xAP X10 Connector Cmx Question
  • From: "lasses nilsson" <lasse10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:12:10 -0000

Thank u thank u thank u.

I actually got it to work with your guide. I really appriciate u
taking the time to explain it to me.

I now got xlobby zoomplayer and Xap to play together and dim lamps
turn on off devices when playing movies watching TV or playing poker
in the movie room.REALLY cool

thanks again

//Lasse

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, "Edward Pearson"

www.erspearson.com.

> The connector supports two distinct schema sets: X10 and BSC.
>
> The X10 schema was one of the first to be defined for xAP and pre-
dates BSC
> by a long way. Early versions of my connector only support this
schema and
> the other connectors around still only do. It it an almost literal
> translation of the X10 powerline protocol into xAP. So the
commands you get
> are limited to On, Off, Dim, Bright, AllLightsOn, AllLightsOff,
AllUnitsOff.
> For the dim and bright commands there is an associated count
parameter;
> invoking this function on the connector causes a number of
individual dim or
> bright cycles to be transmitted over the powerline. How many
depends on the
> module. The connector applies a scaling so that the right number of
> powerline commands are sent to get a module from off to full
brightness for
> a count of 100 on the bright command and conversely from full
brightness to
> off with a count of 100 on the dim command. Standard plug-in X10
modules do
> not support the concept of 'go to 60% brightness', they just do
relative
> 'get dimmer' by x much' or or 'get brighter by x much'. The X10
system was
> designed to support lightswitches with up/down buttons not
computer control.
> Also, don't ask me why, plug-in modules don't support brightning
up from
> off; they insist in coming on a full brightness and being dimmed
down. Not
> very relaxing.
>
> The BSC schema is a higher-level, abstract schema for simple
devices. It can
> be applied to many kinds of situations and is well suited to
lighting
> control. The X10 connector supports BSC and translates it to X10.
To do this
> it has to do quite a lot of work. It needs to hold a model of the
devices on
> the X10 'network' and keep track of them. So, for instance, it
tries to keep
> track of the current brightness setting of each dimmer. Keeping
track of the
> curent setting means that you can, using a BSC command, ask the
connector to
> take a particular lamp to 80% brightness. The connector works out
what
> sequence of X10 commands it needs to send to get the desired
result given
> the current state of the lamp. So, in the case of your plug-in
dimmer, if it
> was currently switched off, it would need to turn it on full and
dim it down
> by 20%. If the lamp was currently on at 30% it would need to
brighten it by
> 50%.
>
> The connector keeps track of the X10 modules by accounting for the
X10
> commands it has issued as a result of responding to xAP messages
and also by
> watching what happens on X10. So it you dim the lamp using an X10
> lightswitch or controller box then the connector will know about
it. What
> the connector cannot do it take into account 'local control' of
the module.
> Most plug-in modules will detect when a switch on the lamp plugged
into them
> is turned on and go to full brightness (but not communicate that
they have
> done this). There is no X10 command you can send to a plug-in
module to say
> 'tell me what your current setting is'; they are receive only.
There's an
> option in the configuration panel to set "always send X10
on/off";
if you
> use any local control then you should enable this. It puts the
connector
> into 'paranoid' mode - assuming that it does not accurately know
the state
> of a plug-in dimmer module, causing it always to go full on and
then dim
> down to the requested setting. If you don't use local control then
disable
> it; the connector will assume it has an accurate view of the
current state
> of the module and potentially use a smaller (and more civilised)
sequence of
> commands.
>
> DIN rail mounted dimmers (and some other 'pro' modules) do support
absolute
> brightness levels using specific X10 commands. They can also be
asked to
> report their current settings. The X10 connector takes advantage
of this.
> Enable this (assuming you have a pro-dimmer, you do not) by setting
> 'ProDimmer' for that module in the configuration settings.
>
> To use BSC messages with the connector you need to setup each X10
module you
> have in the configuration/properties dialog. BSC hides the X10
addresses
> like B7 with readable ones like 'LivingRoom.ReadingLamp'. This is
done in
> the configuration as well as telling the connector what kind of
X10 module
> is at each X10 address. The connector supports:
>
>     Binary - OnOff modules, often called appliance modles
>     Lighting - also OnOff only, things like the modules that screw
directly
> into the light fitting
>     Dimmer - plugin lighiting modules with dimming function
>     ProDimmer - DIN rail dimmers that support absolute dimming.
>
> The next version of the connector also has a BinaryInput module
type that
> better deals with things like X10 motion detectors.
>
> OK, so, tutorial over. If you want to get your dimmer module to go
to a
> particular level with one command then you need to use the BSC
command set.
> Check out the BSC schema at
> http://downloads.xapautomation.org/documents/BSCv13.pdf.
But note
that even
> though you make the request with a single xAP command, the X10
connector may
> have to issue several X10 commands to get the module to the right
place.
> That's the best that X10 can offer (and the reason my house is a
Dynalite