new app for testing

  • Subject: new app for testing
  • From: "JamesTraynor" <james@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:06:12 -0000

http://www.mi4.biz/files/testing/20061229mailme.zip

(make sure you've got the latest intranet ocx)

The idea for this app came from a suggestion on this list, can't
remember who but thanks!
MailMe is an SMTP server. It receives emails and then triggers xAP
messages based on the to address.
The initial idea was that my router can send an email in the event of a
problem, and this app would allow that email to trigger display
messages, TTS etc. That worked well so I though I could use the IP
camera above the front door as that could send emails when it detected
movement. Again worked well but that led to wanting a record of the
events. So I added the ability to decode and save attached pictures and
save the details to a database. That the led to a web page to display
the pics and to search for them.
There were then only two issues,
Firstly the builtin motion detection of the camera was pretty sensitive
so would cause lots of alerts being sent. I added an additional level of
motion detection within the app itself. It does a check between the
image in the email and one taken every couple of minutes from the camera
and you can set a tolerance which greatly helps reduce false alarms.
Secondly between the 3 devices i've tried this with they all send emails
with not quite standard formats. I've got it receiving messages from all
of them but you may find some not being process right. It will save a
text file containing the source message (lastmessage.txt). If you could
send me a copy of that I'll make sure it will get processed right

enjoy

James