Re: xAP BSC Questions for a MediaPortal Plugin

Hi,

DisplayText= is a completely optional element in a BSC message. It is
there to provide a label/annotation for events mainly for display
purposes. An example may be a door sensor that would just respond On/Off
but could also have a displaytext saying "Door is
closed","Door is
Open". The important thing is that displaytext is designed for the
human
to read where as the state/level/text are there for the applications to
read.
In homeseer it sends the devicestatus as the displaytext and because of
how things work in home seer some users/devices put html in there so it
display nice on the webpage. That is why you are seeing a url in there.
The only other non-standard additions I've seen are again from HomeSeer.
I added a Name= and a Location= keys ( if available). This was to allow
apps like Floorplan when they autodetect the BSC devices to
automatically name them.
Regarding temperature. They really don't fit in well with BSC and
because of this work is underway on TSC which is a schema design for
telemetry devices. Its been through a few revisions now so should be out
soon. As it stands a temp device in homeseer would just report the temp
within the Tex= field. If more data was needed to be sent a seperate BSC
device would need to be used for each item of data. So a temperature
could be sent as:
:tempA.Temp
:tempA.MaxTemp
:tempA.MinTemp