Re: xAP Speech 1.4 Released

Quoting James Traynor (12/12/06 2:22 PM):
> I actually gets more fiddly that just pre-loading the voices. Natural
> Voices after a period of inactivity unload themselves so even after
you
> know the voices have been loaded you still get delay when it reloads.
> The trouble with all this is that the loading/unloading and the delays
> are all very vaired of different hardware so i can see alot of
fiddling
> to get any solution.
> My only suggestion that may be worth trying would be to make a vbs
> script that says 'hello' at 0 volume using all the voices you want and
> trigger that script using task scheduler to run every 5 minutes. Now
> this will cause a cpu blip when it runs but it should be a pretty
minor
> one. Hopefully it would be enough to keep the sapi voice cache always
> ready. Assuming it does keep them loaded you can reduce the frequency
of
> the task until it stop working.
> http://www.myitforum.com/articles/11/view.asp?id=9159
for the needed bits
> I did make a start of adding this functionality into Speech but havn't
> got that far. Certainly with the natural voices once cached you can
> switch between them quickly, maybe the Neovoices are different I've
> never used them

Thanks for the explanation and suggestions James. Initial experiments
suggest that the NeoSpeech voices may behave a bit differently as I'm
unable to get more than one to persist by simply "invoking" them.
 I'm
wondering if they're being "garbage collected" unless references
to them
don't go away.

Gregg