RE: xAP HomeSeer plugin

  • Subject: RE: xAP HomeSeer plugin
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:14:44 +0100

Ah OK thanks.

I'd wrongly assumed that the devices tab enables and disables support of
th=
ese devices IN HOMESEER ITSELF - this is wrong then?

So all along - I've been generally enabling Homeseer support and disabling
=
BSC support for most items. In fact, I should generally be ENABLING BSC
sup=
port for items like lights etc and DISABLING most homeseer support?

Thanks,

Paul.

Behalf Of Kevin Hawkins
> Sent: 19 August 2006 13:39
> To: xap_automation@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [xap_automation] xAP HomeSeer plugin
>=20
> Hi Paul,
>=20
>     BSC is 'Basic Status and Control' which is a xAP universal schema
> for controlling simple devices (binary/level/text values).  One of the
> great advantages of BSC is that it is close to plug and play between
xAP
> devices that support it - and it has rudimentary discovery of devices
> and their capabilities.  It's disadvantage is that it doesn't richly
> describe the capabilities of a device - here you would use more
> functionally descriptive schema like 'whole house audio' 'security'
> 'weather' or something.
>=20
>     The great synergy between HomeSeer and xAP BSC is that devices
> created in HomeSeer are very close to BSC in style. We thus allow a
> native HomeSeer device to be presented to xAP as a BSC device which
> means its status can be seen by all xAP devices and it can be
controlled
> by all xAP devices. That is what selecting 'BSC' does - it connects
the
> device to xAP using BSC.   xAP FloorPlan for example works very well
> with BSC devices.    HomeSeer additionally has its own schema called
> 'HomeSeer' and this schema has more information within it but is not
> universally recognised like BSC.  Enabling the 'HomeSeer' schema again
> allows the device to be visible and controllable from the xAP network
> but only by using the HomeSeer schema. You can enable xAP and HomeSeer
> schema support independently.  If you have no need for the HS device
> be accessible to your xAP network then you would enable neither of
these
> options, which reduces xAP network traffic and overhead. If you wanted
> to see a HS device in xAP FloorPlan then enabling BSC for that device
is
> a good route.
>=20
>     The above relates to HS native devices - those that are inbuilt in
> HS eg X10 and those that can be added via HS plugins, it does not
apply
> to devices that are created from xAP using the xAP plugin, as these
are
> already present on the xAP network anyway.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>  Paul Gale wrote:
> >
> > I=92m not quite sure what the BSC and HomeSeer round icons
actually mea=
> > and when I should enable/disable them in the Devices tab of the
xAP HS
> > plugin. Can someone explain please?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Paul.