Re: Re: Hardware embedded BSC Mapper

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the input - here's some comments

a) Yes you can do that already

b) Never thought anyone would want that but not difficult - what
would you use it for ?

c) That's a useful one

d) I do handle level mapping at the moment ie map 60% to 60% (or 60%
to 40% if inverted). Setting up ranges for mapping would be fairly
complex - again what would the application be for this ?

e) That's the bit in the 'logic engine' I mentioned. The problem
here is that a complete implementation rapidly becomes complex and it is
awkward to provide a nice configuration interface from such a small
device - there is no script language that a user would have access to.
I'm still thinking on this though.  Currently I do do this myself but my
logic is hardcoded into the C firmware.

Already I keep a state information table for any devices that
requires display via the web interface.  Anything that eats memory is a
problem so retaining text or displaytext values is problematic . Setting
up arrays with reserved space that store this per device is very
inefficient and I am still early days in my C familiarity. I am already
playing with ways of storing this text separately and only for the
length of data required.  One other possibility is that maybe I can do
away with storing them at all and issuing BSC.query commands as needed
to read current values. Holding state and level information can be done
very compactly. UDP and string buffers, Text and source addresses are
the memory guzzlers.

Kevin

Kevin Hawkins <lists@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > I am looking at releasing an Ethernet connected embedded
> controller that
> > will allow 'mapping' of xAP BSC devices. For example an input or
> output
> > on BSC device A controls an output on BSC device B. An example
> > 'mapping' might be Netiom input to a C-Bus / X10 light perhaps.
> This
> > would mean xAP BSC devices can be interconnected 24/7 without any
> PC
> > and software being required.
> >
> > The device I'm guessing would hold over 50 such mappings and be
> > configurable via a web interface and maybe a xAP schema too. It
> would
> > support inverted mappings and wildcarded targets. I am hoping for
> > target price around £50. (there will be no serial port on
this
> > device). I actually have this mostly running here already based
on
> > stripping the C-Bus code out of my existing C-Bus xAP gateway.
> The
> > to-do's are mainly configuration and web pages.
> >
> > Whilst refining this if anyone has any thoughts on other
> features /
> > ideas they might like to see included I would welcome
constructive