ROKU SoundBridge xAP support...

  • Subject: ROKU SoundBridge xAP support...
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:55:03 +0100

I knocked up a quick application last night that supports xAP OSD
display on the Roku Soundbridge 2000.  I shall slowly be updating this
to add more features but for me getting CallerID, emails and Skype
onlines  displayed on the 'fab' large display of the unit was an
urgency. Interestingly these units support full graphic access to the
display so all sorts of potential there.  I do intend to support the IR
remote and the SoundBridge1000 / 500 units as well, and eventually I
hope to support the xAP  whole house audio schema too . RCP is Roku's
command protocol and it goes some way to allowing this (rather than
getting into the intracacies of UPnP) but is still lacking some basic
features like playlist manipulation so that's one for the next firmware
update.   TelCanto of course offers inbuilt xAP and provides existing
Roku support.   My main system is still very much SliMP3/Squeezebox
based but the Roku display just had an ideal place so couldn't resist.

It would be great to be able to use Stuarts 'message queue' feature
as implemented in the Slim conduit , as I'm not up to writing a full
multi destination , multi priority management system like that....  I
wonder if it is pratical in some way to have a general 'xap queue'
application....

If anyone wants a copy of the software 'in progress' then just drop
me an email. I'm not going to release this generally for a little while
- until I've got a few more features added, all Roku models supported
and some docs written up.  Any feature requests - get them in now.

Kevin