Re: zoneminder.

Quoting zimmer62_2000 (9/7/05 1:06 PM):
> Does anyone here use zoneminder?  I'm not a perl expert, and I think
> it would be a great application to add xAP support to, but I'm not
> sure I'm up to the task.

I won't claim to be an "expert"; but, I just completed an
"alpha"
version of xAP BSC support for misterhouse (allowing its devices to be
monitorable/controllable via xAP).  Some of the code is generalizable
and some has excess dependencies on mh libs.  I'm currently working on a
connector for asterisk that will reuse and refactor much of this
code--making it non-mh specific.  That should mean that I'll have the
start of a somewhat generalized perl xAP "toolkit" (framework
would be a
bit too generous ;) that might be applicable here.

> It would be really nice to have an alarm triggered by xAP, or send an
> xAP message when motion is detected by a camera.

As I mentioned, I'm currently working on the asterisk connector and need
to make some headway before looking much at zm; but, I have been meaning
to integrate cameras into my setup and zm seems reasonable.  I could
probably make some initial assessment at effort level to provide an
initial xAP (likely BSC) integration into zm if you or someone else
could point me to whatever perl "mechanism" is used to trap
events
(specific file names and/or functions would really help).  Feel free to
forward specific info like this off-list if you like.

Additional comments/questions:
1) to make things "simple", I'd advise against trying to
implement a hub
in zm and instead assume that the user has set one up.  There is native
*nix code from Patrick's site and mh also implements a hub.
2) If zm is to be fully BSC compliant, then it has to be able to listen
and support query commands.  That implies the need for the xAP code to
be capable of iterating over the state of zm "objects" (things
that you
want to report alarms on).  Or, perhaps only partial BSC implementation
is "good enough".  Of course, if the latter is the case and you
don't
ever envision zm being controllable/queryable via xAP, then the hub
issue is moot.