Re: Schema for configuration

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:09:24 +0100, Simon McCaughey
<simonmcc@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>The application I'm working on has a client part and server part. The
>client needs to retrieve and display configuration items from the
>server, and allow them to be edited, and send an update to the server.
>
>Is there a schema in place for this currently?

Not really, as far as I know. Can the communication be generalised for
many different types of xAPplication or is it specific to your own
application do you think?

>I'll also need to send notifications from the server to the client,
>like "Heating turned on" etc - is there a schema I should use
for
>that?

One thing I think a few of us do is to send out .Info class messages
when queried directly, or on an intermittent basis. e.g. "I'm
currently playing this song." But we also send out .Event class
messages when something changes e.g. when told to play song 5 of 10,
or when one song ends and the next one starts.

I don't have a handy example at the moment, so it'll have to wait
until tonight unless somebody else has one. But it sounds like
"Heating turned on" could be classified as a .Event message.

Normally I 'derive' the .Event message class from the, umm,
'instruction' class as this feels quite natural to use, to me at
least! It lets me reuse the instructional message blocks as event and
informational broadcasts.

Oh, when my app is queried on the current state of something I will
send out a targetted .Info message back to the original requestor.
Anybody can pick up the message, but if somebody asks, I send the
response back directly to them. Intermittent informational messages I
send out untargetted as they're information for all to view rather
than a response to a specific question.

An example later on though,

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/