Re: xap Newbie

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:05:15 +0000, James Stubbs
<stubbsjuk@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>What do the following parameters relate to
>
>v=12
>Hop=1
>UID=FF123400

Have a gander in the spec and all will become clear (er  ish).

<http://www.xapautomation.org/modules.php?name=xAP_Content&pa=showpage&pid=xapcurrent>

But in a nutshell, v is the version number, denoting the format of the
message. Hop counts the number of cross-network jumps the message has
taken. UID is unique identifier for the xAP node (application, bit of
hardware etc) so you don't need to parse a complete wordy address -
very useful for low-power devices to quickly discard unwanted
messages.

>Also, I assume that SlimServer Connect is listening for the commands,
>then passes them to SlimServer - which then sends a command to the
>Slimp3 Display.

That's right.

>If I had more than one Slimp3, would it be possible to specify wich
>Slimp3 I wanted the message to go to. I can't see this in the schema

Sure! But you would use the Target line that is optional in the header
for the message. This optional line specifies who the message is aimed
at, although anybody can still receive it. You can thus specify a
single Slim, a collection of Slims, or all Slims should you wish. It's
very powerful.

The content of the message is then routed by the SlimServerConnector
to the appropriate Slims.

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/