Re: New setup - second problem! (Comfort & Quasar) - Cygwin Again?

  • Subject: Re: New setup - second problem! (Comfort & Quasar) - Cygwin Again?
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <richard.boreham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:22:00 -0000

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, "rb_ziggy"
<richard.boreham@n...> wrote:
> Comfort (using the ACE
> server) has worked fine on this for sometime and I can use
> Hyperterminal to see the incoming stream from the two respective
> serial ports. So the redirection and physical link looks fine.
>
> However, neither the Comfort or Quasar connectors seem to be able to
> see the serial data streams.  The Comfort connector seems to sit
> polling the  incoming serial but reports no xap message (apart from a
> heartbeat).  The quasar connector reports a heatbeat and a xap message
> but in this case, the four sensors are reported as
"unknown".

> It looks like there is a problem with the connectors seeing data on
> the serial ports.

Having done more testing (well bashing around in trial & error), I
think the probs noted above are further symptoms of the cygwin
situation.

Background:
- I tried out the programme that comes with the Quasar board called
TSL.  This also needs cygwin.  Using the version that is bundled with
TSL and the app works fine and 'sees', displays and logs the data from
Quasar.  Using other versions and it behaves erratically; sometimes it
wont work at all and with other versions it starts fine (i.e. finds
the serial port) but then apparently can't see/understand the data stream.
- Doing the same with the xAP Quasar connecter gives similarly eratic
behaviour except of the four versions I have, none makes the plugin
work correctly.
- Again with the comfort connector, 3 versions will not run the
connector at all, the 4th runs it but it does not see/interpret the
serial data stream.

All a bit curious! One expects a called library routine to work ok or
crash the programme; half work is unexpected.

I think the best thing is for me to wait for Patrick to have a chance
to recompile and bundle cygwin with these plugins and I'll try again

Regards

Richard