Re: Comfort Connector Problem - or poor user

  • Subject: Re: Comfort Connector Problem - or poor user
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <richard.boreham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 17:04:56 -0000

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, "Bill Kearney"
<wkearney99@h...> wrote:

> > Thanks for the suggestion. Looked there but seems that the full
cygwin
> > install loads up a full linux envt.  I really don't want to do
this
> > because a) I don't understand what that will give me, b) I really
> > don't like installing guff on what I try to keep as a clean
server c)
> > I thought I only needed the cygwin1.dll.
>
> Use the cygwin installer and setup just the defaults.  If you want
what it
> provides, well, you're stuck with what it requires.  The installer is
> painless, if that's "too hard" then perhaps you need to
adjust that
scale.

Not too hard - just that when I had a look at the defaults, there
seemed to be a lot of stuff that it wanted by default and I try to
keep the server as unloaded as possible for stability - hence the
'guff' comment! The trouble with some of these installers is its too
easy to let them run amock and if I only need the one .dll why can't
they just let me have that. :-)

Anyway, help from offlist with Gregg has provided me with a new .dll
that does work with the Comfort connector so many thanks for that.

Now, this is where it gets really wierd...

I also downloaded the Quasar plugin.  This needs cygwin too and did
fire up ok with one of the other versions I had but it wouldnt work
with the new one. So I now have specific versions of this .dll for
each application.

I guess this means that the base applications must have been complied
against different .dlls. Plausible?  So much for backward
compatibility etc!  Surely I'm not the only poor b***er to catch this?

Anyway, probs not entirely over but that's another topic so I'll raise
a new query.

Thanks

Richard