Re: xAP SwitchBoard beta 2 released

>Is there any way I can send a message to xSB and have it perform its
>name or number lookups to result in an xSB web hosted URL to an
>appropriate image file?

This will come. I want to add a schema that will allow searches of the
address book and editing there of. The results of these searches would
include the image url if available. I would imagine the schema would
work in a similar way to the searches used by xAP Tv.

>Ideally I'd like to be able to pass a text string to xSB and get a URL
>back as a response, along with some kind of "not found" type
response.

>I wouldn't want the text string input to be restricted to just a
>number however, or something that you'd look up in the xSB database.
>I'm thinking that if I pass a string, and an image of that same name
>(minus any file extension) lives in your xSB "pics" folder,
then I get
>a URL to that back again.

The webserver does just sever files from the xAPIntranet folder and if
not found will return the usual 404 not found page if that helps?

>Maybe there's some scope for a general image lookup service here? It
>could even provide URLs to 'off-site' resources too, with a bit of
>additional configuration.

I think this is going a bit beyond what should be included with
switchboard as, as you say it's becoming a general lookup app.  This is
ideal territory for the xAPIntranet OCX however. Using it you could make
a simple app that would cover these functions with all the intranet, web
server and xAP functions already done for you. I'm guessing that you
would want it to serve directories of images, probably indexing any
image tags, as well as other documents, music etc. Sort of a xAP search
engine, you could even link to google images through soap and search
that too.  It would make a useful little app.

So are you volunteering then? ;-)