xAP NetCallerID (finally) ready

  • Subject: xAP NetCallerID (finally) ready
  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <gsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:31:24 -0400

My first xAPplication, "xAP NetCallerID" is finally ready for
beta
testers...

More information:
http://tinyurl.com/acooe

The "NetCallerID," made by Got-Call, is a US style caller ID box
that
comes with a built in Serial Interface. It works with any phone as a
stand-alone caller-ID box and you can connect to your computer's serial
port.

While it has been discontinued for some time, it is the only external
CID device that I have found that supports serial communications, and
there must have been a glut of them at one time, since quite a few
retailers are still selling them.

It is available from Electronic Discount Sales (Linked Here) for a
measly US$5.99 plus shipping, and from the HomeSeer store for about
US$15 plus shipping. It also pops up on eBay occasionally...

xAP NetCallerID is a xAPplication that can read this data from the
NetCallerID serial line and turn it into xAP CID.Incoming messages.

It leverages the excellent work done by Stuart Both on the
xAPFramework.NET package, which made development of this xAPplication a
million times easier than it could have been.

This application runs in two different modes, controlled by three
different command line switches:

1. No Switch - Run as a Windows Service
2. "-GUI" - run as a GUI windows application
3. "-InstallService" - register the service with the Windows
Service
Control Manager
4. "-RemoveService" - un-register the service with the Windows
Service
Control Manager

More information should be available when I have more time to type.

The installation package, in .zip format, is attached to the wiki
page... click on "Attachments" at the top of this page.

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.