Re: xAP Asterisk integration

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:18:25 -0400, Gregg Liming <gregg@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I notice that xAP Switchboard allows some mapping of source to
"line".
>That caused me to begin thinking about how this might be implemented
and
>specifically, thinking about subaddressing.  I know subaddressing is
>used for BSC; is it restricted to BSC or is it appropriate for other
>schemas (such as the telephony ones)?

Subaddressing is very appropriate to other mechanisms and definitely
isn't just a BSC option. It was originally aimed at hardware
endpoints, I believe, such as a multi-interface device with several
serial connections for instance. I believe the Netiom is a perfect
example of this, although I've not seen one (yet) myself.

Subaddress can also be highly useful wrt software endpoints too. For
instance, I use them heavily in my mail monitoring xAPplication where
each domain and mailbox are subaddresses e.g.

KCSoft.MailMonitor.<instance>:<yourdomain.com>.<mailbox>

> The motivation for considering
>subaddressing is that I had rather assumed that the asterisk xAP app
>would occupy the primary address (source or target).  So, to send
>message to some phone managed by asterisk (for example, to initiate a
>call outward), the subaddress might be something like sip.2001 (where
>sip is the logical channel and 2001 is the "extension").

That sounds good to me. It's similar to the mailbox addressing in that
further down the subaddress components refine the address.

Another example of subaddressing I use is for SlimDevices. The
SlimServerConnector occupies the primary address:

KCSoft.Slim.<instance>

Whilst the individual Slim devices themselves are subaddresses 'in'
the Connector:

KCSoft.Slim.Server:Office
KCSoft.Slim.Server:Bedroom
KCSoft.Slim.Server:Kitchen

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/