Re: xAP Asterisk integration

Kevin Hawkins wrote:

>Great stuff Ove, and Gregg I wish I could have more input on * and what
>should be implemented but I don't as yet use it , but would with a xAP
>interface :-)

Since you have so graciously offered... ;)

I do have one question (or perhaps, just the prelude to a lot more...)
regarding the treatment of dialing "resources" and their mapping
source or target names.  In a pbx system (which * implements), it is
often logical to think of a set of sending or receiving
"channels".  In
some sense, your treatment of PSTN or Skype is such an example.
Further, it is often the case that a channel be specifically identified
or addressable.  In the PSTN world, these are hard, physical lines.  In
asterisk, the use of channel banks, and VoIP providers opens this up to
many more options.

I notice that xAP Switchboard allows some mapping of source to
"line".
That caused me to begin thinking about how this might be implemented and
specifically, thinking about subaddressing.  I know subaddressing is
used for BSC; is it restricted to BSC or is it appropriate for other
schemas (such as the telephony ones)?  The motivation for considering
subaddressing is that I had rather assumed that the asterisk xAP app
would occupy the primary address (source or target).  So, to send
message to some phone managed by asterisk (for example, to initiate a
call outward), the subaddress might be something like sip.2001 (where
sip is the logical channel and 2001 is the "extension").
Likewise, if a
Incoming.CallWithCID is sent, it would be nice to know what inbound line
is receiving the call.  Since xAP switchboard seems to associate sources
w/ lines, then subaddressing seemed like a natural path.  Am I off-base
here?  If not, does xAP Switchboard handle subaddressing for line
association?

Gregg