Desktop Panel creation

  • Subject: Desktop Panel creation
  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <gsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:21:10 -0400

I decided to have a bit of a play with the Google maps api, and thought
it would be cool to use my results in a xAP Desktop Panel, but I'm not
sure where to start.

I wrote a quick little .NET app that does this:

1. Does a generic Google search for a phone number
Most US phone numbers give "Google Phonebook" results when
searched
for, but of course,
their Search API doesn't, so I have to scrub the HTML... Try
5087566216 for an example
2. If there are results, do a Google maps search for their address
Unless someone know a better way to geocode an address... I have
found that, if I do a
regular Google maps search, I get back an address with "center lat=
lng=  " results
3. Compose a Google maps api page with that address, and the people's
names that live there (as listed in the phonebook)
4. Load IE with that page.

So I basically want to do the same thing, but in a desktop panel... Is
it possible? I have the code (I can make it VBScript if I have to) or I
could make my app be a command line app that just generates a web page,
but is it possible to display a web page in a desktop panel?

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.