IRC Transcript for Friday 21st Jan 2004

For those not able to make the IRC discussion on xAP, please find below
a transcript of the session.

For those interested same time same place this week.

Dramatis Personae:

UKUSA: Kevin Hawkins
Durnik: Mark Harrison
Gadget: Stuart Poulton
pbaz: Paul Barrett
Edward: Edward Pearson
Digizz: Paul Gale

<UKUSA> Im just in the process of re-writing the xAP WinAMP connector
better conform to a new xap-audio schema
<UKUSA> and to use a different control mech to allow multiple WinAMPs
on
one PC
<Durnik> Can you map multiple WinAMPs to different physical output
devices then?
<UKUSA> yes - you can put a surround sound card say with 6 or 8
channels
and map it as 3 stereo pairs - one on each winamp
<Durnik> OK
<UKUSA> so you get a multiroom setup
<Durnik> Yes indeed.
<UKUSA> Xlobby will even synch them
<UKUSA> but with xAP od course the winamps are network wide
<UKUSA> but not synchable
<Durnik> I have to say that I've gone a different route for syncing
media network wide.
<Durnik> I've gone the VideoLAN route, and have them all hook into a
single multicast stream.
<Durnik> However, VideoLAN isn't xAP controllable :-(
<Gadget> Durnik, nice idea.
<UKUSA> I have gone for audio synch through a matrix switch at the
amp
rather than a network synch
<UKUSA> ut no good for rio's and u have a few of those
<Durnik> For music, I'm all-Rio these days. VideoLAN is for, well,
Video
<Durnik> Which matrix switch are you using?
<Gadget> Durnik, videolan: www.videolan.org ?
<UKUSA> I am using a Kramer one , and also now (recently) a Crestron
one
<UKUSA> The Crestron allows vol and bass/treble control on each
channel
over teh network so is much more HA'able
<UKUSA> and it ahs balanced audio - so can connect to a KAT5 remote
<Gadget> Kevin, you got a URL for the crestron ?
<UKUSA> its expensive - be warned
<UKUSA> heres all teh matrix stuff
<UKUSA>
http://www-2.crestron.com/products/show_products.asp?type=residential&cat=1012
<UKUSA> and heres teh audio matrix with balanced inputs
<Gadget> ta.
UKUSA> http://tinyurl.com/4yp7k
<UKUSA> I keep eyeing this up (the video counterpart)
http://tinyurl.com/5nfkq
<Gadget> :)
Durnik> We're looking at one of these for a client -
http://www.procon.co.uk/text/catalogue.htm#2.10
<Durnik> The intention is to control with xAP, which is why we've
gone
for procon, because they are keen to support controller development.
<Durnik> Oh - changing the subject.
<Durnik> Can anyone confirm, in the absense of Patrick's site,
_which_
Quasar board he's written xAP drivers for?
<UKUSA> The Kramer and AutoPatch units are very easy to control with
xAP
-  I would always try and switch S-video or RGB/component if ou can - I
have been really disappointed with composite
<UKUSA> the 4 temp one
<UKUSA> I have a xAp conduit for the TOM10 if you want 10 sensors
<UKUSA> and Stuart has one on the way ;-)
<UKUSA> (mine is a temp one)
<UKUSA> but I use it
<Durnik> Have you got a URL to the TOM10 product (as opposed to xAP)
page?
<UKUSA> one sec
<Durnik>
http://www.gadgetjunkie.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=17
-
this one?
<UKUSA> yep
<UKUSA> nicely built
<UKUSA> My (temporary) app creates sub addresses in xAP on the fly as
sensors are added and presents the data as BSC
<Durnik> I've just emailed Justin :-)

=== pbaz (Paul Barrett) joins ===
<Durnik> Welcome pbaz
<pbaz> Hi
<UKUSA> sorry - just engrossed in trying to get a bit of VB code
working
grrrrr
<UKUSA> Hi pbaz
<UKUSA> u use xAP pbaz ?
<pbaz> Yeh, I am the author of www.bazautomation.com, thought i'd
drop
in and see what was going on
UKUSA> Ahh I did wonder
<UKUSA> You been quiet for while
<UKUSA> you wrote some PIC stuff didnt u ?
<pbaz> Yeh, other projects and work getting in the way
<pbaz> Yeh, tried to get RS485 network with the PIC but I have
problems
getting them to recv and run out of code space
<UKUSA> Was you framework stuff in VB or C# ?
<pbaz> VB
<UKUSA> I seem to remember I was looking for inspiration on writing
serial code in VB.net and used your code to see how
<UKUSA> but the leap from VB6 to VB.net was quite large
<pbaz> I found that too
<Durnik> I've stuck with VB6, primarily because of the requirement to
support the legacy DDE interface into the main HomeVision app.
<Durnik> As I understand things, you can't make DDE calls from within
.NET?
<UKUSA> sorry - food ready - l8r
<Durnik> l8r

=== Edward (Edward Pearson) joins ===
=== Digizz (Paul Gale) joins ===

<Edward> Anybody tried thenew X10 connector or looked at my site?
<Durnik> Edward - nope, I'm a Homevision user still :-)
<Digizz> just been looking at those electronic controlled showers -
Aqualisa one looks good - but needs more displays and flashing LEDs!
<Durnik> BTW - I spoke to patrick yesterday, and patrick.lidstone.net
should be up and running in the next couple of days.
<Edward> Sitting here looking at a quote from DynaLite for a few bits
play with the dimmer pack I got in the raffle at UKHA
<Durnik> It's hosted on his ADSL line, and he's just moved house :-)
<Edward> Lets hope availablility will be better
<Durnik> I think the availability problems were software-related
rather
than infrastructure-related.
<Durnik> He did say that he was going to port the content onto a
stable
platform rather than keep the same site.
<Edward> 7am - bit of a hangover - don't want to go to work - do I
need
flashing LED's?
<Digizz> yup - extra bright ones - that'll get you going!

<Edward> Anybody know how I post a article on xAPAutomation.org?
<Edward> Wanted to post a link to www.erspearson.com - I'll be
documenting the DynaLite project there as it goes.
<mi4> hi edward
<mi4> I've already added a link on mi4 ;-)
<Edward> Cheers - it's a crap site - but I'll learn as I go along
<mi4> If I knew about it earlier I would of used it for mi4  but
mambo
seems a very good system worth a look
<pbaz> Hi, I can put a link on www.bazautomation.com as well if you
like
<Edward> While I'm only using my ISP's free web space, I'm very
limited
to what I can deploy - little other than static html
<Edward> Who's updating xAPautomation.org
<mi4> I can get some things added, gimme a sec and I try and login
<Edward> Is that co you have 'special' priveliges or could I do it?
<mi4> Gadget handed out 'special' priveliges!
<mi4> the link is done
<mi4> Do you want to give me some text for a news story introducing
the
site?
<Edward> Without thinking about it more, I'd just use the yahoo grop
posting on the X10 connector from earlier in the week
<Edward> But I'd prefer to write something speific for it
<Edward> pbaz - offer gladly accepted! And, as soon as I do my links
page, I'll return the favour.
<pbaz> No Problem
<Gadget> Ello all
<Durnik> Gadget - should I link to other xAP sites from the Ascentium
xAP site?
<Durnik> Edward - thanks to your site, I just discovered the
existence
of Express Editions!
<Gadget> Durnik, feel free.
<mi4> Gadget can you setup Edward with an account on
xapautomation.org
so he can post news? and maybe get an icon loaded for the topic?
<Gadget> mi4, yes, although ANYONE can submit a news item, it waits
for
approval.
<Gadget> Got to go, back soon
<Durnik> Edward, pbaz - you are now linked from
www.ascentium.co.uk\xap
<Durnik> Reciprocal links welcomed :-)
<Edward> You're on the list
<Durnik> Ta :-)
<pbaz> No problem, link added
<Durnik> if nothing else, reciprocal linking seems to improve google
rankings

<UKUSA> back for a few mins..
<Durnik> wb UKUSA
<Edward> welcome!
<Durnik> UKUSA - do you actually have a xAP website at the moment?
<UKUSA> Nope - I have a couple of realy bad pages on C-bus board and
HV
stuff but I need to do it
<UKUSA> In fact I just peeked a Mamba site but the downlaod links
dont work
<UKUSA> Which si nota  good recommendation for such a product really
<Durnik> No
<UKUSA> just trying on another PC
<Durnik> I have to admit, I use "notepad" for my content on
ascentium,
and hand-written php for yourpropertyexpert.com which is the main site
<mi4> Mambo : >Our mamboforge.net site is currently down as a
result of
a failed power supply on the host server. While the power supply has een
replaced, a hard drive on the server also suffered problems and has
resulted in further delays.
<UKUSA> status last updated 18th Jan :-(

<UKUSA> who's going to the NEC thing ?
<Durnik> UKUSA - still uncommitted to NEC
<UKUSA> I think I'm going to do the NEC as its not so far for me...
<Edward> Might go to NEC - Coventry was wher I grew up so have a few
friends there still
<UKUSA> Edward BTW - sorry no havnet run up your new X10 connector
yet -
my CM11 has gone faulty - totally dead so just stuck at the oment
<UKUSA> one on its way though
<Edward> I'm about to press the 'go' button on the Dynalite project
<Edward> Going to shell out fot he softeare application and a
lightswitch
<UKUSA> Do u have to buy a load of bits from them ?
<Edward> to complemnet the dimmer pack I won at UKHA
<UKUSA> sort of a 'loaded' raffle win that
<Edward> Hmmmm - yes
<UKUSA> we should co-ordinate  lighting schema once u have them
<Edward> They're giving me dealer prices
<UKUSA> at the moment I implement BSC and a C-Bus one so we should
just
have a lighting one - not C-Bus
<UKUSA> well thats a start
<Edward> Never the less, switches (7 way) are £70
<UKUSA> C-Bus ones are abot £100 odd
<Edward> But the installer software is £300
<Durnik> Crikey
<UKUSA> but teh dynalite range looked to have more cosmetic
variations
<UKUSA> and tehy wont give you that ??
<Edward> I should probably try to negotiate harder
<Edward> or at least
<Edward> go for sale or return
<UKUSA> I would ask for it free - as you have to get it for teh
raffle
prize to work plus you're going to author some software for them
<Durnik> Hell, but it as a distance-selling purchase, and excercise
your
statuatory right to change your mind in XXX days :-)
<Edward> I wonder how theyfeel about the sw development - might be a
competitive product
<UKUSA> Edward - I must have a chat with you re xap-audio v.soon as
Im
just doing the WinAMP conduit for (other) Kevin
<UKUSA> No - it broadens their customer base
<UKUSA> makes more people interested in their product
<UKUSA> ( I know all the lines )
<Edward> Yeah, I should try it on - no harm in trying
<Edward> Audio - yes
<UKUSA> do you need to buy an interface too (serial ?) (Ethernet ?)
<Edward> Not feeling very +ve about that
<Edward> It's a USB or serial to 485 inteface
<UKUSA> +ve about ?
<Edward> Dynalite is all 485
<Edward> +ve about audio (xAP or xpl)
<UKUSA> hmmm - me neither
<Edward> reckon the big companies will own the space
<UKUSA> you saw the post re that s/w now supporting exstreamers as
clients
<Edward> it's a massive market
<Durnik> Trouble is, it's not a market in which integration is seen
as a
benefit.
<Durnik> Most customers for multi-room audio want "single vendor
solution"
<Edward> Which s/w now supporting Exstreamers?
<Edward> Was thinking of writing alternative firmware for Exstreamer
make it look just like a Slim.
<Edward> I have all the knowledge gained from the (failed) embedded
xAP
project
<UKUSA> try this link for Exstreamers
<UKUSA> http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article-1521--0-0.html