Re: xAP SlimServer Connector and the latest Slims

--------------010907060309010609010104

Hi Stuart,

Whooo   welcome back :-)

SlimServer v6 was released in its first public 'alpha' form a couple of
days ago and announced on the SlimList 24th feb.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.music.equipment.slimdevices.general/23419
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.music.equipment.slimdevices.general
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/SlimServer_v6.0a1/

It is the big step people have been waiting for in that it implements a
back end database using SQLite (or mySQL) and for me it solves my
stuttering and blanking problems so I have great hopes for it.  I have
been using it for a couple of months now with varying results, but that
was to be expected as it is only just approaching alpha.Just recently
its got a whole lot better. There is of course the daily builds of
SlimServer and in that 5.4.1 is available and even more recent 6.0's

www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

The bad news is that the xAP Slim Connector doesnt work for me at
all on v6  . It did originally but then stopped around December, in fact
it stalls SlimServer causing all the screens to blank but when you quit
the connector SlimServer returns.  I dont use 5.4.1 so I am not sure if
the same issues exist there. There si also some talk at the moment about
securing the CLI to require a telnet login, which seems sensible.
There are a large number of new and interesting commands available
in the CLI now which may make some things easier, plus Freds changes to
be added to ( I sent you an email a while back on these ) .  Interesting
are all the music library search features plus extra ways of handling
the 'display' features that address multiline (font) operation. I think
Fred's changes are in the 5.4.1 release but not 6.0 yet - but the main
CLI expansion is available in both.   The details on the CLI are
available via the Slim web interface" Technical Information > The
SlimServer Command Line Interface" although I am not sure if Freds
changes are included in the docs there. I believe the v6 and v5 document
are different. I Have attached both the http and CLI api V6 docs but
they may not make it to the group, if not I will send you  both of these
direct.  I am not sure how much emphasis is being placed now on 5.4.1 -
I think it is very much one of stabilising the code (bugs) and most of
the startegic and new stuff will emerge in v6.

I'm doing a bit of stuff at teh moment with the xap-audio schema
(with WinAMP) so glad to co-ordinate on this if we can..

OH ..... yes I have a graphical Squeezebox - and also still a spare
'graphic' upgrade kit ;-) - I could have my arm twisted on.....

Kevin

PS     Did I say          "Welcome back " !