Re: So what will be the standard?

  • Subject: Re: So what will be the standard?
  • From: "g8kmh" <g8kmh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:58:11 -0000

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, "Peter Hulst" <lists@s...>
wrote:

> I've been looking for a while to find the right home automation
> protocol for my own system. But there are just too many different
> implementations and too few standards. I like the sound of xap a
lot,
> and I understand that there are many developers very excited about
> this, but am worried that its lifetime may be limited if no hardware
> vendors will pick up this protocol.

Well, as I'm sure you are aware there are some commercial and semi-
commercial xAP enabled devices. But in terms of 'off the shelf' it is
very limited. For the commercial developers, even in medium volumes,
there has to be a market and at present there are only the early
adopters. At the moment, unless you are a coder, whole house xAP
automation on a common reliable platform isn't achievable (yet).

So, right now xAP hasn't made it to the systems integrator level, let
alone mass market.

One problem with primarily non commercial HA is the amount of
activity that goes on that is wasteful or reinventing the wheel - a
quick web search will reveal many HA projects that are one-offs,
duplicates or where there is a difference of philosophy. Had all of
that effort been expended around a common platform/protocol then that
would have the best chance of becoming a de facto standard.

> What do people here think about the chances of xap as a standard in
> commercial products? Microsoft's Upnp and SCP seem well thought
> through, but also don't seem to be supported by anything other than
> microsoft products.

And whilst there are many in the HA community would wish otherwise,
that backing gives them an enormous amount of resource and leverage.

> I realize I am asking a group of biased people, but still want to
ask
> this: is there ever going to be a standard home automation protocol,
> and if so, what will it be?
> Can somebody shed any light on the differences between xap and upnp
or
> scp? If you were building a commercial home automation device, what
> protocol would you bet on?

Kevin, in his post, sums up the situation very well regarding uPnP.
For me, I'm betting the house, literally, on xAP working and growing
but along the way there is significant amount of work required to
achieve something comprehensive, reliable and (and this often a
motivation for the adoption of non-commercial HA) at an affordable
cost.

All, of course, my personal view.
Lehane